or Connect

Posts by apack

In most fields of academia, the type of tie you wear will not make any difference.  The fact that you're wearing a suit will normally make you stand out as a faculty candidate, so any tasteful tie will serve just fine.  That said, I'd probably get a nice Hober tie that you like, as they're excellent value and will serve you well later.  Personal taste, i.e., what will make you comfortable and confident, is much more important than trying to achieve any particular look,...
It was a good day on ebay today:  a pair of Ferragamo Tramezza monks in very good condition in my size (10B, hard to find) for $90 including shipping, and a really nice Drake's wool tie for $30.    
That's a good tip.  I'll have to check them out on JAB's next 75% off sale.
The STP dealflyer that just came out today has 30% off and 99 cent shipping with no minimum order.  Not sure if that shipping price is valid to Canada though.
  Most of what typical stores sell as cashmere is not what would classically have been called cashmere.  It is fiber from the same animal but not the underlayers that are really soft.  So "cheap priced cashmere sweater with decent quality" is really an oxymoron at the conventional retail level.  The cheap stuff is not real cashmere.  I mean, when places like Old Navy sell cashmere at ridiculously low prices then you should know it will not be the same quality...
  Sign up for their "dealflyer" newsletter via their website and they will send you an email with links to the sale.  It activates an online keycode, which you can also enter manually.  Then when you browse items on their site, each item will display a button for "view coupon" that reflects the extra discount.  This is also automatically applied at checkout.  The only trick is that they generally have multiple promotions/keycodes running simultaneously, so you need to be...
  List prices for good-quality cashmere are that or more.  However, deals can be found -- for example the current offer at Sierra Trading Post for Johnston's cashmere sweaters at $120-$160 with their email discount.  I have seen Laing sleeveless cashmere pull-overs on ebay NWT for as little as $50.  So it is still possible to acquire very good quality cashmere at good prices with some judicious shopping.  Just stay out of the brick-and-mortar retail stores.  These clothes...
Johnstons of Elgin is *much* better than Smedley.  I have found Smedley sweaters generally very thin and don't like their Sea Island fabric.  It seems like it would distort quickly.  Johnston's cashmere is great, and John Laing is also excellent.  If you look up-thread to the post by msameth you will find some discussion of recent Scottish cashmere weaving and some of the labels it's sold under.   If you're looking for lighter-weight or cheaper options, I have found...
Sierra Trading Post currently has excellent prices on Johnston's of Elgin cashmere sweaters -- $120 for a sweater-vest, and $120 - $165 for regular pull-over sweaters (depending on cut and color) with their dealflyer coupons.   If any of you want to do that, you can signup in a way that will give them some credit to me by clicking through here.  This will give you a $10 coupon as well.  Then sign up for their dealflyer email, and follow the link through that to get...
Johnston's is Mongolian fiber woven in Scotland with the garment assembled in Scotland.  The description on PRL was woven in Italy and assembled in China.  So at a minimum you're paying for unnecessary shipping of the fabric, plus of course the Ralph Lauren label.  I would prefer to buy directly from the maker, be it in China or Scotland.   STP prices right now are $120 for a Johnston's cashmere sweater-vest, and $120 - $165 for regular pull-over cashmere sweaters...