or Connect

Posts by Dino944

Wow that is really ugly.  Then again, I have to say regardless of color schemes there isn't a modern Bentley I'd want to own anyway. Yup, the dealers pick what they think will sell.  Mrs. Dino and I really didn't care for any of the color combinations available so we spec'd the car ourselves.  We had a lot of fun doing it too!  Hence we got no-resale Dark Metallic Blue (which we love) with the 2 tone Agate gray and pebble gray with deviating stitching, and ordered brushed...
Well, as you will soon be a McLaren fan I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the brand and its history.  The F1 is a special car...and I'd say even if the record is currently a mere $13.75 million...that puts it in pretty rarefied company. 
 Parts of his collection have been on display at museums, and having seen some of his cars there and he definitely owns the best of the best.  His F1 LM is rare...but he has lots of very rare, very special cars that are worth between say 5 million and 20 Million dollars.  His 250 GTO and his Bugatti 57SC Atlantic (one of 2 cars) are both $40 milllion plus...heck I've even heard someone say if his Bugatti went up for sale at auction it could fetch $100 Million.  I've seen...
Really?  The most I have ever heard of one selling for is $13.75 Million, and they say the market is flat on them.  A 275 NART Spyder sold within the last 2 years for about twice that, and I don't think I've heard of a 250GTO selling for under $34 Million in recent years, (the the most was a rumored private sale of a GTO for over $50 Million).  Unless I missed something with a recent F1 LM sale...seems like they have some catching up to do. The owner should have ordered it...
Well if you want to reduce unsprung weight, which a lot of track guys want to do, then usually people go with a smaller size wheel because generally speaking having more tire weighs less than having more alloy wheel.   Although, on the last car, we bought the optional 20" wheels actually weighed less than the stock 19's (which were blocky with fewer but much thicker spokes).   @Find Finn  I think back in the day, many cars gave a noticeably harsher ride if you went with...
I like those but be careful of how intricate the design and how many spokes the wheel has.  Years ago I had one set with 20 spokes per wheel and they were  bitch to clean.  It would take me as long if not longer to clean the wheels as it took to clean the entire rest of the car...and if I didn't clean the wheels they looked like sh*t.  Next car I got the lightest wheels available with the least number of spokes, which makes cleaning time so much simpler.   Good luck with...
 I read the article and with respect to the Rolex section, I think James Dowling, who has written books about Rolex and who is/was a Rolex forum moderator on TZ, has written better, and more original articles with a similar theme some 15-20 years ago.  Mr. Dowling in addition to writing "Why its OK to Hate Rolex" http://www.timezone.com/2002/09/24/why-its-okay-to-hate-rolex-298/#  , he wrote an article about the stages of becoming a watch collector, in which you start out...
Not crazy.  There are several of us here who respect the brand, its workmanship, and think they are tremendous value...but they just don't ignite any desire in us to own one.  A few years ago, I went to a dealer to check them out and see if maybe in person I would feel differently.  After trying a few on, I knew even if they workmanship relative to its price is fantastic, I just didn't have a desire to own one.  Still its always great to have some watch diversity and see...
Well, maybe the issue then becomes whether to do a make over (and whether that can be done easily in stages on weekends) so as to keep the car driveable for most of the work week.   Or does it make sense to get newer lower mileage daily, but one that you will enjoy at least as much as this one if not more, but something with far fewer needs.  I always think about a statement one of the techs who works on my car, told me they always tell people who are considering cars in...
Jags definitely have the reputation for being a car not to buy if you aren't going to wrench it yourself.  When my Dad was buying Porsches in the 1980's one if his friends was buying Jags.  He would keep and XJ6 for 3 or 4 years and trade it for the next one, until he finally bought hsi dream car around 1986/1987, a V12 XJS.  He absolutely loved that car, but told my Dad unless you are going to work on it yourself, never buy a Jag.  He once brought us down to his garage...