Posts by Dino944

Yes, it is the 100th anniversary of the Tank.  I wouldn't necessarily rule out something being released, every now and then they do release something mid year or in the fall which has not been shown at SIHH.  Then again, they might not do anything, who knows?  Kap does have a point also...not to mention, the Tank we most associate with the Tank design (the Tank Louis Cartier), wasn't the first Tank to be released, so perhaps they are waiting for its 100th? Its possible,...
We have a bit over 165,000 miles on our 2010 Legacy.  Its a stock 2.5 with no mods, we just wanted a good size, economical (30 MPG or better, which it delivers if we stick to 65 mph on the highway), AWD, grocery getter.  The most major expense its had in the last 12 months was the right rear wheel bearing.  The timing belt was changed at around 100,000 miles, and other than brakes, tires and an occasional cabin filter...all that has been done was standard services based on...
I agree on some levels but disagree on others. Those of us here on SF are not your normal customers, that is something I'm well aware of.  However, the landscape of the watch market and watch buyer have changed drastically in the last 20+ years that there have been watch forums.  Back in the mid to late 90's people who were dedicated to collecting watches were the ones largely on the forums.  Back then the average Rolex buyer walked into a shop, bought a Datejust or Sub,...
They will sell a ton of them because for many years on various forums people have said they wish Rolex would release a new Red Sub...well this is basically it...although its been "Supersized."  Historically, SD's were never top sellers...Back in the mid 1990s my Dad bought a SD.  Back then it was about $300 more than a Subdate.  For $300, you got an SEL bracelet, greater water resistance (not that most people needed it), and you didn't have to have a cyclops if you didn't...
For me the new SD is a miss.  At 43 mm, the size won't work for me.  I know lots of people hate the Rolex cyclops, and although it's never bothered me in the past, for some reason seeing it on the SD after decades of them not having one, truly bothers me.  The splash of red is neither here nor there for me.  I suppose if other companies can incorporate historic nuances in modern watches, then I guess Rolex may as well do it too.  As I looked at the images of the new SD...
Agreed, none of these newly released pieces are of interest to me.   There's always talk about predicted pieces just before the SIHH/Basel.  I've seen so many incorrect predictions over the last 20+ years that I stopped paying attention to them. 
I understand the OP's interest and reasons for considering a quartz Tank Solo.  It certainly makes sense, based on his budget, his wanting a non-round watch, and his wanting to reduce his exposure to maintenance costs.    However, your prior statement, "Cartier tank- you buy for the design; not for the movement"   doesn't read specific to the quartz Tank Solo, it reads as a blanket statement that Cartier Tanks are watches no one buys for the movements, suggesting Tanks are...
Not really sure what you mean by that statement?  Are you suggesting the movements used in Tanks are insignificant or not well made?  There is certainly nothing wrong with buying a Cartier Tank just for the design, or a quartz version to save money, however there are several Tank models that have very high end, beautiful movements powering them.  
Please note, that I suggested for major movement issues, it may be best to go back to the manufacturer, not merely a basic service.  I suppose a case by case basis does make sense.  And maybe generic gaskets are fine for some watches, especially as one may not have much choice with vintage watches.  However, as mentioned before, most high end brands do not sell parts to independents, which means its not just gaskets they can't get, its also new crowns & tubes and those are...
Ignoring Alfa's reputation for rust and a lack of reliability, Quadrifoglio seemed like a cool idea in the abstract, since we were looking for a new daily driver for Mrs. Dino.  But being in the Northeast the lack of AWD was a big negative, as the Mrs. has to be able to get to the hospital for work even when roads aren't well plowed.  When I looked up dealer locations, it was a joke...50 minutes to 75 minutes away (and that's if their is no traffic).  Its also a pet peeve...