or Connect

Posts by Dino944

Your welcome.  Yes, its very easy to be sold on a discount or as you say to get "Discount drunk."  They can give it an MSRP of whatever they want.  However, anyone who knows anything about watches would never have bought that watch for anything remotely close to $20K.  There are far too many truly great watches for less than that.  I'd rather have a watch that is honestly a $3,500 watch all day long rather than a fashion watch with an MRSP that can't be justified or...
Congrats on your OQ.  Actually, I think there are at least 3 others here who also have silver dial ref 17000 OQ.  Funny thing is when new, these were the top of the line Rolex.  In steel they had a higher MSRP than a steel Sub or Daytona, they were more antimagnetic than the famed original Milguass ref 1019, and they were the first steel Rolex watches to feature a sapphire synthetic crystal and and solid bracelet links.  However, once interest in mechanical movements was...
Looks great and the edges are so crisp!  Either and amazing polishing job, or never worn.  Definitely one of the coolest quartz watches.  Enjoy it! 
 Don't be sold on a discount, be sold on the product.  There is a reason its deeply discounted.  Its nothing significant.  It has a good but ordinary workhorse of a movement powering it, however, its basically a fashion watch with a cigar/cigarette manufacturer's name on it.  Granted I know they sell other things, but to me its like buying a watch that says Krug on the dial. IMHO there are very few instances where luxury brands that are not dedicated watch makers actually...
Sorry, but IMHO, Tiffany is a hollow shell of what it once was and there is nothing current I'd want from them.  They changed drastically when they decided to cash in and sell tons of sterling silver key chains and bracelets to the kids of yuppies.  While I know some people go nuts for a dial with a Tiffany stamp, I wouldn't waste my time waiting for a modern watch with it.  I'd rather buy the same watch with a discount than have one with extra branding on it.  For example...
There are wait lists in some areas major cities NYC, SF, LA etc, but if you travel and check out local ADs in the areas you visit, its possible to shorten the wait.  Last time I heard about waiting lists for the 5712/a and blue dial 5711, I happened to visit Vegas and between the 3 ADs there, every model of Nautilus was in stock and available for purchase through one of them.  But if you don't travel much you can always wait and see how long it takes for your local AD to...
I certainly understand not liking the cyclops and wanting a crystal without it, but to me something like a magnifier over the date is far from a deal breaker. FYI...on a vintage piece that you might send out to someone who specializes in servicing vintage Rolex watches, I suppose its not a big deal to either remove the cyclops or fit a crystal that doesn't have one.  However, if its a modern or relatively modern piece that you might send to Rolex for service in the US, you...
Not much. Buy a Seiko.  Its a better watch with better designs.  Invictas seem to give one a choice of either juvenile gimmicky styling or wannabe Rolex styling. 
There are definitely lots of clever ads that work on many people.  I've seen plenty of young wealthy international students, who buy watches, clothes, or cars because their favorite celebrity has those items.  So clearly the brand ambassador/advertising thing works with certain consumers.     Patek's ad is very good, but I don't have kids.  So while that ad probably motivates a lot of watch collecting parents (or people who plan to be parents) it just doesn't motivate me...
With the 24 hours of Daytona (another Rolex sponsored event), the winners get steel Daytonas. Certainly interesting.  Although, I can't say advertising has had any of that effect on me, although maybe I'm just that odd percent they don't quite reach. I've never seen a BMW ad (or other car advertisement), watched it and thought to myself, "Oh, now I'm feeling much better about having purchased the car I bought."  Although, I suppose I can understand people feeling some...