or Connect

Posts by Dino944

Congrats!  Looking forward to seeing some wrist shots when it arrives!  This place is definitely becoming a very GMT Master friendly environment (regardless of bezel material).    Congrats again and hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!  
Yes, they would still have new aluminum bezel inserts.  Rolex has stated they maintain a stock of parts for 20 years past a model going out of production.  I haven't priced one in years...so my prices could have gone up over the years.  IIRC they used to be about $75-85...but that was more than 10 years ago. In addition, not sure if you are just looking to replace a scratched bezel or to buy extras.  For extras, you may have better luck overseas.  Rolex's US division has a...
AFAIK, Rolex does not refinish a scratched aluminum bezel insert.  Actually, I'm not aware that there is a way of refinishing them.  Rolex might suggest replacing a scratched or very faded bezel insert, but they will only replace it if you agree to pay for a new insert.  If you do not agree to pay for a new one and do not authorize its replacement, then it is my understanding they will not replace it.  
 I agree in terms of not wanting to rush a company or watchmaker in terms of finishing servicing my watches.  I have been to an IWC watch making event where I got to disassemble and reassemble a basic but rather large movement and it was a bit tough to do without scratching any parts of the movement.  So I wouldn't want a watchmaker to hurry with my watches especially those with display backs.  As for service times, the last Rolex I had serviced I was quoted a turn around...
Patek does a bit more than recommend parts to be replaced...sometimes it's a bit closer to insisting. A guy I knew bought an older Nautilus from the 80's. He wore it for 2 years and sent it in for service. They told him the gold rotor should be replaced(I believe it's attachment area that was wearing). He wasn't sure if he wanted to spend the roughly $2k to replace it. However, they told him if he did not replace it they would not warranty the service on the watch. He...
Years ago the crystals were thicker on Sea Dwellers than Subs & GMTs. The thicker crystal would change the distance between the cyclops magnifier and the date window screwing up the magnification, so they nixed the cyclops from SDs. I'm not sure if the crystal is still thicker, or not, and if out of tradition they don't give it a cyclops.
My father bought a 16710 in 2001, and the MSRP back then was $3,500.  I believe it was around $4,000 by 2004-2005, as my Sub LV (which had a higher list price than the GMT) had an MSRP of $4,500 in 2005.   Personally, I would go with the Pepsi or Coke bezel insert as it helps differentiate it as a GMT.  Not that I needed people to know it was a GMT vs. a Sub, but when I had an all black bezel GMT, people who sort of knew watches would say nice Sub.  It sort of like the GMT...
I know seriously....do you think his toaster is made by AP?
Thank you for clarifying that.  There is certainly something to be said for in house movements, and many companies today offer them.  Sure, I can see you placing a greater value in that than someone modifying a movement and putting it in their own watch.  That being said, you have to be careful that you are not merely lumping all watches together that use an outsourced movement.  First not all outsourced movements are the same quality, and some are exceptional, in quality,...
These just appear to be fashion watches.   There is nothing wrong with ETA movements, most are good, solid, reliable movements.  However, the finish can be drastically different at different price points.  So don't make the mistake of lumping in $500 watches with being of the same quality in terms of fit and finish as say a $5,000 watch using an ETA movement.   Also, I'm not sure what the reference is to Rolex or Nomos.  Both are far more than merely "Brand" names.  They...