or Connect

Posts by Dino944

I think if you have a friend who really knows the ins and outs of vintage watches, then you will probably be fine.  If you were a newbie, going into this alone, then you'd really have a lot of homework to do to make sure its not a fake, a redial, a "Franken-watch," etc. As for the movement, Rolex doesn't decorate movements the way PP, AP, VC, or Lange do.  They do a very basic finish, but they make robust movements.  The simplicity and ruggedness makes many of their...
 Hi Nuke,  Clearly vintage Daytonas aren't your thing, and that's cool.  No watch can be everything to everyone.   I did want to point out though, that $25,000 isn't even remotely in the realm of Paul Newman Daytonas.  You can't touch one in steel for less than low 6 figures, and some of the rarer models are high mid to high 6 figure range.   Pricing on a lot of vintage watches has definitely been crazy, but $25,000 has been about an average price on "NON-Newman dial"...
First there are several versions of Daytonas as they have been made since the early 1960s.  I am guessing that if you are looking at $25,000 and its steel, then it is either a 6263/6265 manual wind Daytona, which are manual wind watches.  Or perhaps its a 16520 automatic with Patrizzi dial, If you want to spend less, you could buy a current automatic 116520 (new or used and they will be between maybe $9,000-13,000).  These are automatics, they have a 72 hour power reserve,...
You are very welcome and thank you for the kind words about the RO Jumbo.  Wishing you lots of luck with your decision.  Cheers!
Price increases can help a older watches retain value or over time go up.  However, it usually takes more than a single price increase of a $1,000 to have much effect on pre-owned models. Remember the new ones can still be bought at a discount, there us no supply shortage (new or used), and if the disparity between new vs. used isn't that significant, a good number of people may opt for new ones. Also, if there are still new old stock of the old one available, some people...
You are welcome.  Its important to follow your heart and buy what makes you smile.  However, if your idea to buy the Longines and Hamiltons are because you thought there is greater investment potential in acquiring a volume of watches, then that would be IMHO a mistake.  Buy them only if you really like them, and they are not merely flavor of the day substitutes for what you really want.  They are quality watches, but I just don't see them being watches that will retain or...
I like the idea of the bracelet upgrade (although, still like the looks of the older bracelet more).  I'm not into the NATO strap thing so that would be irrelevant to me.  Its not a make or break upgrade (and in the event you are just starting your research the movement is a bit different than what was in the original Moonwatch, which was cal 321).   For some it will merely be a question of whether the price increase is worth it to them for the upgraded bracelet, box,...
+1   Agree 100%
Very nice photos!  Congrats on passing your exam!  
Sorry, my friend...as for design, its Lange 1 FTW !!!   As I stated previously, they make a very good quality watch.  That being said, if I were to buy a GO, I'd never buy a Pano.  I would only buy something from one of their other lines like the senator.  I completely understand that in steel you get something that is close to the design of the Lange 1 at a much lower price.  That works for some people.  Not for me.  I'm one of those people that appreciates and wants...