or Connect

Posts by Looking to improve

Originally posted by acole: Quote: To the well-dressed man, however, the world suddenly seems a vicious and foreboding place.  The sharp protrusions of tables, chairs, and door-handles lash out at defenseless trouser buttons and pleats.  Barbaric hordes of stones, curbs, overhanging baseboard heaters, luggage wheels, brake pedals, and other ankle-high perils menace the unwary Alden calfskin oxford, while the bespoke shirt and woven-silk tie cringe before...
Are pale pink shirts O.K. for men? YES. MtB
Originally posted by Mike C. Quote: No one would ever see the lining. The only benefit is that the customer knows it's there. It's like a dirty little secret that you can chuckle to yourself about. Let me start by mentioning that I too have 'discovered' the charm of a fancy-coloured lining. And yes, it puts a smile on my face. I therefore, wouldn't call it a dirty secret. Second, no one would ever see the lining? I disagree: I sometimes need to walk...
Originally posted by friendlyone: Quote: I agree. But what is the reason why shirts should show clearly above the collar? Apart from the 'visual' reasons mentioned above, how about this one for an explanation? It's far easier (not to mention cheaper) to clean a shirt collar than a jacket collar... Not to imply anything about personal standards of cleanliness these days, but I can imagine standards being at a lower level in earlier times. And come to...
Originally posted by T4phage: Quote: I would suggest you try one and see how you like it. Well, I suppose in a month or so, when I've gathered all my courage I'll order a 'test-shirt' by Maffeis. Thank you for the feedback, I'm not all that great an expert on judging construction(-quality) so a more expert opinion is (always) helpful. I'll be sure to let you know how I like it when I receive the shirt. MtB.
Originally posted by T4phage: Quote: Originally posted by Looking to Improve: Quote: ..Florence... And I probably will go, because I still want to peek inside Neuber's and revisit Eredi Chiarini Royal. It shan't be soon, though... Where would I find this outlet centre? If you are going to Italy soon, shy don't you buy your MTM shirt there since it is alway cheaper (by at least Euro 50) than ordering it in Nederlands? Actually,...
Originally posted by T4phage: Quote: They don't stock that many models, but you can order EGs from them, also MTO.  They have the EG swatch book so you can see the various colours and finishes. Still, for the difference in price, I'd rather go to S&S in Maastricht, where I also have more faith in the salesmen. Originally posted by T4phage: Quote: Outside the city, Via Europa 8, località Leccio, Reggello FI, tel. 055-8657775. ...
Originally posted by T4phage: Quote: You mean Edward Pelger's in Den Haag Hoogstraat?  My problem with them is that they have a very limited selection, only about 5 styles and mostly in black.  Shoes and Shirts have a much nicer selection, plus the colors that they have (the antiqued browns) are quite nice.  At S&S they also carry some nice StefanoBis. Yes, I mean Eduard Pelger. I haven't inquired about the number of styles and colours they stock,...
Originally posted by T4phage: Quote: You buy the E.Greens at Shoes and Shirts on Havenstraat  right? I do indeed. I first went there while still at Maastricht University (although not for the E.Greens, too pricey). I like the salesmen, their advice and I think they offer quite good service. I recently found a store in the city where I live (The Hague) that also sells E.Green, but the E.Green-shoes there are more expensive than at S&S (approx. EUR...
Originally posted by T4phage: Quote: Thanks.  I've heard of the store, but for me it is as far away as Brussels, and I'd rather go to Amsterdam.  Most of the time I order the suit in Italy anyway and then get it picked up (or if additional fittings are required) in Amsterdam. I know Maastricht is rather out of the way for most people in the Netherlands. It is for me as well, approx. 230 km. Still, I try to make time to go there once in a while. I...