or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

I am in a similar position with wearing overshoes but for a different reason. And have tried many alternatives. I had my cobbler put a half sole put on my Walnut Shell Daltons. Those pair are very hard and slick, it is as bad as bare leather when you hit wet tiled floors. The combination tap soles as issued by AE seem softer than other half soles. The tap sole on the calf PA that I have is softer and appears to offer better traction but I have no idea about longevity. I...
When your on an experienced squad shooting trap you hardly have time to eject, load and mount before it is your turn to shoot again. It moves pretty fast but the sitting around waiting to shoot takes forever  An auto for trap should have a shell catcher or knockdown pin installed. If you start bouncing hot hulls off the guy to your right or dinging the stock on his $20k P or K gun I can pretty much guarantee you there will be some words exchanged. Trap is a bit different...
Skeet is harder to learn, but easier to master with experience. For most people that is. If you miss on 8 Low your supposed to carve your name in the low house door even if your a beginner ;-) My name would be all over the country if that was true LOL. But it is a good station to put someone on who has never shot before to learn how to shoot with a box of shells. None are hard to hit but all are easy to miss in both venues. Wobble is great for practice before hunting...
Agree, although I never use a gun case for long term storage but put them in the safe with a dehumidify where they belong. The Boyt green cotton cases were very common when I was younger and many people would open them before hunting season to find their guns rusted. Because they put them in there still wet from the year before LOL.  I do like my Filson gun cases, wish they offered them in brown though.  I prefer to keep the gun cases hidden from public view if possible.
 I went up a half size from my Barrie. Agree it is a very personal fit. With commando sole.
I have a couple of shoe boxes filled with inserts that I have tried and collected over the years, some custom molded. But have settled on just the $20 superfeet black 3/4 length hard plastic ones for everything. I do wear them in my Beckmans and most of my boots and shoes. Fit and how your feet feel at the end of the day matter most to me, it is more individual fit and what works best for you is what is correct IMO. And the 3/4 black superfeet even though they are hard...
   I feel the same as what cincikid says. I own Bayfields, 744, RW Beckman, and Krause (along with several others).  And for me the Bayfield wins. Enough that I own 3 pairs of them. L-R CXL, black calf, cappuccino shell MTO. The RW Beckman featherstone leather as you know takes awhile to break in however it eventually becomes soft as butter. And my heel still slips in mine too. I really would like to get a pair of RW Ice Cutter boots but they are also on the RW 8 last so I...
 Congrats, they look great! How do they fit? I see they are on the 8 last like the Beckman but wondering if the lining makes them fit a bit snug in comparison. They look like a true winter boot and I will want to wear them with midweight wool socks.  Last week I was in the town of Red Wing and saw an old Red Wing Shoes poster on the wall of a micro brewery that showed where the name Ice Cutter came from. Several guys were on a frozen lake cutting ice blocks out of the...
On the other hand bowing can occur in any last and any shoe regardless of bal or blucher. I tried 3 times over a years time to get a pair of Bradley's (blucher on 1 last) made that didn't bow without success.  While foot volume can play a role in bowing (and in most cases think it does) it does seem that bowing runs in streaks, especially with certain shoes and you can measure it across the topline. You never know until you get the shoe if yours is going to have it or not...
In my experience no but I use very little product and seldom use it at that. I can smell turpentine in both of them, or at least believe that I do. I always think of woodworking when I smell either one. Reno has a bit better overall smell to it but that would be a personal opinion only. Like MWS the ingredients are well kept secrets and even MSD sheets aren't telling anything. I have wondered if VSC doesn't use Venice turpentine which comes from the Western Larch tree. But...