or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

I agree absolutely love everything about the 744's yours are looking great, nicely done! For some reason the 721 LTD doesn't do anything for me, but then again I don't own them. I was not aware of no more unlined MTO's in shell anymore. My walnut Dalton's were ordered the week they came out as a webgem and are unlined and comfortable 12 months out of the year. 
If it was me after making sure that it was a crack I would email Alison. But if your not comfortable contacting her then I would call customer service.  IIRC when the Independence line first came out a few people had issues with the walnut finish peeling. They must have fixed it fairly quickly because after a couple of months no one else reported problems. So not sure about the finish on those, Don't know for sure but I think it is a slightly different than standard calf...
You could try to keep it from drying out to see if it helps from spreading if you are sure it is a tear, but if it is a crack everything I've read is that will spread. I do not believe you are out of luck if you wanted to return them though and your worried enough. AE has purchased 2 of my boots back one which I owned for almost 2 years. The metal eyelets on my 744's have turned the tounge green where they touch and I have not found nothing that will totally get it off....
Wow Nick, that is one heck of a first post! Welcome to the shell club, looks like you have been doing your homework. Bumps in the foot bed may be due to QC issues, lumps of cork that didn't level out or in the wrong location. I have a very flat foot and the 5 last fits me the best of any lasts, AE or otherwise. I would try the 5 last again and see if you can find a shoe without bumps in the foot bed to make sure it isn't the last that is the issue.  As mentioned you may...
Nicely done Doc, they look great!
Another great shoe which is on clearance and being discontinued by AE, hard to believe. I was considering a MTO in burgundy shell but that is no longer an option.
Congrats on your new and first pair of shell, they have faded to a beautiful color.  This X2, Leeds are not blobby they are normal IMO. The Leeds can be used as a direct substitute for the dress shoe worn by the US Military. I don't believe you can get any more American than that.
They are one of the few shoes still made by AE with corrected grain leather that I am aware of. AE used to call their corrected grain leather polished cobbler leather. I have an older pair of Shelton's that are cobbler leather, they switched to calf for the Shelton a number of years ago. I have always worn them as a "fun" shoe such as dates, etc. Agree that it handles foul weather well but it also doesn't age as gracefully as calf. But still works for a fun type shoe.  I...
The color is almost identical to my C&J for RL Marlow's which was labeled cognac until a few years ago. The AE CS rep pulled the make up order history for the 744's and it was listed as brown shell, same stock number as the standard brown shell. She went so far as to make the person that pulled the shell go out to the shed where they store shell and show her where they got it. She talked to everyone involved in the manufacturing process and carried one of my boots with her...
 I've been thinking about this and can't think of a better person to run with the ball than Mike, if your willing? I think Walnut would be really hard to come with the shortage, it has been hard enough for Horween to get horse hides as it is but to get clear enough ones for Walnut must be really hard. If AE was willing to do a small number of shell MTO could they ask Horween what colors they may have in stock and are available?  If nothing except the standard colors are...