or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

Understand the feeling. I ordered the Ravello chukka from TSM last Thursday and on Friday the status switched to new. Been checking the status 3 times a day since. Last night status switched to cancelled. I'm crushed......
No I haven't, knock on wood. They do push out a lot on my unlined walnut shell Dalton's which I wore yesterday and it used to concern me some that they would cut through to the outside, however after more than a years wear no problems. I have 3 shoe boxes full of insoles I have collected over the years and they are easily the hardest ones. The next hardest ones are an old pair of green superfeet inserts that you cut to length. The harder the insole the better support they...
    Same here. I purchased the Woodlore boot trees for my walnut shell Daltons but ended up using those for other boots and use the epic in my Dalton's. And most of my boots and shoes for that matter.   I have the same issue narrow heels and no arch, on my left foot it has flattened totally over the years. I have custom orthotics both for boots and half length thinner ones for dress which cost $400 for each set. Couple of years ago was in an AE store and they sell black...
  This. I sipped on the SF Kool-Aid for awhile so hesitated getting the PA thinking the captoe may be too short. During the recent sale picked up the BB version of the PA for $129.50 to use in bad weather, figured couldn't go wrong. I was shocked, in real life the cap toe is just about perfect IMO. In fact I ordered the black shell version last week once I saw how nice it was. For the perf captoe may go with the Alden for BB however. Not because of the cap toe, but...
Mix 2 parts water to 1 part white vinegar and wipe the salt stains down ASAP. Then wipe down with a damp rag and let them dry naturally do not place near a heat source to dry. I too doubt they are ruined.    Several thin coats of paste wax will protect your shoes in the winter very well. Cream or cream polish, not so much. I always wax my shoes and boots a couple of extra times in the fall before the snow falls and also during the winter. Check your soles every day when...
I would not use HDLP on suede myself. I have a post in the Obenauf's thread with 4 treated boots in it, one of them started life as nubuck. It now looks like the top grain chrome tanned boot next to it.   http://www.styleforum.net/t/132920/obenaufs-lp-it-works/160_20#post_5892455   Which is fine by me, nubuck has no place in a hunting or hiking boot IMO. Although the CXL still has its nap I don't think suede would over time. For suede I use Bickmore Gard More. It does not...
No snoSeal even though I had considered it when I bought them. Have never done it to shell and couldn't bring myself to do it, I love them as they are and am afraid to change the look of them. But for extended exposure in rain or snow my feet do get wet. I try to use trees in all my shoes and boots but to be honest I wear the 744's so much they sit by the door and normally no I don't, but know better and should    I use Saphir medium brown paste wax on both the cigar...
Yep, anything that works in my book! Recently realized I had 13 pair of shell and while I'm not superstitious 14 would be a better number so ordered the PA in black shell last week. You found it. Wait, I think we would be called enablers.... I also have the Krause and 744's, nice pickups on both accounts! There is a flyer in the picture but for comparison of the tan vs. your burgundy Krause.   On some shoes and boots I actually prefer the different colors, it screams...
I am most impressed!! A few others come close but that is fantastic.   Before I retired from the service I had to go through a class on how to become a civilian again which including job interviewing, how to dress, not cussing at people etc. One of the teachers suggested grabbing at least 1 pair of AE shoes through the military exchange as they were the best shoe ever made and we could get a decent discount on them. Because I was retiring and still eligible for shopping...
  This has been my experience too, I do not own a deer bone but thinking maybe it is time to get one. I use my fingers as mentioned above. I totally agree that shell will heal almost like a living material over time with work, it is one of the things I like about it. Also beware that Reno on cuts that are deep will turn shell or leather dark black, and it may not lighten up. With lighter colored shell after doing the water brushing I prefer to start with a thin layer of...