or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

Hmmm strange, or maybe not, I was thinking about that since I posted it. Count me in bucksfan!
  Not a 9.5D but pretty darn close, If they disappear I will know where to look LOL.     That was exactly my thoughts when reading the OP. I would try saddle soap with a soft sponge and not scrubbing too hard if the cleaner/conditioner didn't work and Renomat as the last attempt. The directions on Renomat say let sit for 15 minutes but I have never gone past 10 minutes before removing it, and get nervous even going that long. I've never had an issue with it yet however.
  You could use the 1K for winter but would have to put half soles on them, they aren't expensive. You would also have to waterproof them with something like HDLP. I have the 1000 mile boots in 744 shell and the Krause and they are very comfortable boots.    I like AE a lot however not a fan of the wedge soles on those Eagle County's, just my preference. Or the lace to toe hiking boots for wear in a professional work place. I have a pair of black cherry Beckman's that I...
  Nice pickup and nice job! I like the placement of the cap toe on those a lot. IMO you did well holding out for the right cap toe shoe.     My older Shelton's are polished cobbler leather. After a couple years of wear I used RenoMat to strip them and then Reno to condition and then cream and wax to finish. It helped with the creases a little bit however it is a lot of work for a little short term gain. They do handle the elements well. I seldom wear them any more, mainly...
I've had one pair also that had large lumps in the foot bed. It was the Vinci of the seven collection during the 2 for $200 sale. I returned them and unfortunately there were no more left in my size and it was a discontinued model. In hindsight I should have kept them and sent them in to be resoled and a new foot bed done. That would have brought the cost up to $200 but that shoe was worth all of that, and more. Not sure why I just thought of that and didn't at the time...
  Thanks, and good to know. For belts I have always used AE Leather Lotion. Not too long ago I switched to Bickmore Bicks 4 which is identical, cheaper and easy to find at any tack shop or farm and fleet. It looks and behaves the same as AE leather lotion, it doesn't leave a residue and doesn't darken leather. I use it on my AE Wilbert's so as to not darken the contrast stitching, Filson bridle leather, and belts.     Like bucksfan said at first just wear them, and enjoy....
A lot of good looking boots and shoes lately including the Amok's and Malvern. The only suede I have is the Katmai and thinking now I should pick up something else in suede.      You did very well, nicely done!       Yes you did Mario, nice attention to detail and it has payed off. 
  And what he said! Yes you do....   Last night my tan Krause were waiting for me when I got home. Much better shape than the russet ones. They were a bit more yellow than I had hoped and very light colored overall. Both had some blemishes and one was darker than the other. The leather is slightly different than the russet Krause, more like the McTavish. The fit in 9.5 was about the same as the 9.5 RW beckman and identical to the 1K 744 in shell in size 10D. The heel has...
    Exactly. I do prefer the Elgin slightly over the McTavish including the color and waxy finish. Here is a side by side shot when they were both fairly new and unmolested.      
  Yes the premium polish has cream in it so would darken a bit faster than just wax. The suggestion to clean them first is to allow the wax or cream have a better "bite" or purchase into the leather. The Krause surface is smooth but the area in the end of the leather that holds the eyelets is exposed like end grain in wood. Mine are brighter raspberry color than the rest of the shoe along the end grain of the leather. That area and along the top of the boot which is...