or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

This thread is like a trip down memory lane. Back in the early 70's I gave 4 muskrat hides and a large boar coon pelt for my first flyrod, a glass POS that I caught a lot of tree trout with the first year. That was in the Finger Lakes region of NY. The dog sitting in the 12 pound keg of red dot powder to the left full name is Cayuga Sheshequin Sniper, although he is almost 9 now. Still go back there to see family and friends but usually drop down to Pa. to fish and...
zarathustra sounds like the 45 worked for you, and that is all that matters. If it isn't broke don't fix it. Although there is a saying beware the man that shoots just one gun there is also something to the saying buy the biggest gun safe that you can't afford because eventually you will need it, trust me on that one....    Also seems like the 20 works for you. My first thought was, as usual, anything the 20 can do the 12 can do better. But I also shoot the 20 and...
20 ga. will limit you in waterfowl shooting now that you have to use the non-toxic crap. The best shotgun is much like the best hunting boot, it is what ever fits you best (and you shoot the best). Many along the North Mississippi flyway will tell you that anything other than a Benelli in the duck blind is a single shot, and there is some truth to that. The Benelli Super Black Eagle is a great waterfowl gun but not so much for upland. Benelli is inertial cycled and most...
    Thanks for doing this bucksfan! Because I already have #1 (but not in shell), I also prefer #2 the best. But would still get #1 if that was the only option and we could get 10 people together. Count me in either way.
  Yes the Long Branch would be another option IMO, especially with more casual wear. The larger sized holes in the brogueing make it more informal to me. Not sure how waterproof the leather is or if you even need to waterproof it. I have used HDLP for quite a few years and it will waterproof any leather as long as the welt isn't too open and it is a well made boot. The RW Beckman, Wolverine, and AE are all well made boots and I have some from each. Another option is the...
  Then IMO the 9011 is a great choice 
Did you use a heat gun on low or a hair dryer to melt it in? The safe way to use HDLP is put it in a black plastic bag and place it in the sun but that takes awhile, especially at this time of year. I have used HDLP on bridle leather in the past but any more only use Bicks 4 for bridle leather. It does not leave a residue of any type that can rub off onto clothing.
  Wow those turned out great! Too nice to hide in a spoiler, Congrats. I am still waiting on mine in truffle Dundee's.     Oh that is rubbing salt into the wound, I really wished I would have thought to keep mine during the 2 for $200 sale and just sent them back for a resole. Outstanding.     I have the black cherry Beckman, 9011 IIRC. As catside said be careful of the sizing. I ended up with a 9.5 and I normally take a 10 in AE. The featherstone leather takes awhile to...
  Yes that picture reminds me of the Beaverkill, and also Catherines Creek out of Lake Seneca opening day, ugly.    Lefty get a Pa. license and get out of NY. Stay on 17 and drive past Roscoe. About an hour West of Roscoe head South on 220. Pretty good freestone fishing starting at the Schrader and down to the big and little Sock (loyalsock). It should be about 2 hours from Roscoe and you will be in pretty decent fishing. Even though it is called the Endless Mountains...
  Nah, only when wadding wet...    The back of my rig this spring when fishing on the lower Root. On call and had to carry the laptop and then headed out to shoot some skeet in the afternoon at the club. There aren't any trout in NE Iowa or SE Mn. either, or any limestone streams. It is a secret we are trying to keep damn it and then someone has to make a video, sighhh.....  Nice job BTW.