Posts by Cold Iron

I prefer leather soles however leather soles and ice is not a good combination. Each year since I have moved to Mn. at least one person slips on ice and ends up dead in the small city that I live near. This last year it was a  young Doctor in his early 30's. When I moved up here from NC Dr. Atkins of the Atkins diet fame had just slipped on ice in NYC and hit his head which caused his death. Everyone back there all warned me that the same thing would happen to me so I am...
Adam those are beautiful gunboats!! Your right they do look sleek    I wonder how many hands high that beast of burden was that they made them from ;-)
I have the burgundy and brown shell Patriots in 10D which is my normal size on the 5 last and also 1 last. The patriot is the first loafer to ever fit me without my heel coming out of the shoe. My foot is much like yours and in addition a very low volume foot. I wear my superfeet inserts in them and the fit is just about perfect for me. If you have a low to mid volume foot I think they are certainly worth a try.
Thanks for taking the time to post this and also to the OP for asking. Next weekend I am in Buffalo then leave to spend a week in Winter Haven to spend time with my mother who is recovering from a major stroke. All these years I had no idea that Andy Thornal & Co. even existed! Now if I can get out of the store with a normal size bag and not pick up another double shotgun or fly rod I will be doing well.
  They turned out really well, Congrats! I am liking that walnut shell belt, nice touch.
I'm not a big fan of the Indy or the original 1K, just personal preference on my part. My feet are so flat that foot Doctors have told me I have the flattest feet they have ever seen. Wasn't a problem the first 50 years but now wear black superfeet insoles so the built in arch support, or lack of it, in boots is not an issue any more.  A few of my semi dress boots: Left to Right: AE Bayfield in CXL. Now discontinued but some sizes available through Lands End yet....
I do have Alden Leather Defender also :-) I only apply it if there is a good chance of rain. It is very light and doesn't seem to last long at all. Some on here have used Sno Seal on shell but the pictures of their boots after awhile show the toe box liner, it causes something to happen to the shell and I don't care for the look. I use a lot of Obenauf's HDLP but only on chrome tanned cowhide, CXL and my AE Black Hills. It isn't for dress shoes or boots IMO. Old fashioned...
Very nice! Keep at it looks like they are coming along nicely. A hint for when you get the Reno... Don't go outside to brush and treat them with the jar of open Reno below you. When a drop of sweat falls off your chin because your brushing so much it will land in the open jar of Reno 100% of the time ;-) Now that I finally have a couple pairs of shell loafers you are causing me loafer envy bucksfan. They look Great!
Last week as soon as my burgundy shell Patriots came I put them on. 10 minutes later it a downpour started and I ran out to the deck to bring in the cushions. As soon as I got back inside I took a rag and wiped my shoes down and the AE Cream came off with the rag.... So I did my standard stripping and applying Saphir cordovan cordovan cream. In 2 weeks I will be going to Fl. for a week and will wear my burgundy Patriots every day, and they WILL get wet this time of year....
Looking great bucksfan! Hope the inaugual wearing went well for you. I really like mine and everytime I wear them reminds me that I need more black shell.