Posts by Cold Iron

Well AE does sell overshoes too you know.... I'm not into trying to convince someone to do what I DO with my footwear, it is an individual experience and after all they are YOUR shoes. But in my experience.... Shoes and boots are going to get wet. It is going to happen Mother Nature is a fickle bitch like it or not. You need to know how to take care of them when they do. My mechanical room and laundry room are in the same space and have a deep sink with a ventilated rack...
Oh hell no I have spent my time on bearpaws tripping through the woods. Too old for that now, work smarter not harder.  Dishwasher works great for degreasing gun parts too, and really cleans out the dishwasher plumbing. Wish my oven was larger can't fit a 30" barrel in there now, I've tried. Back in the 70's it was common practice to heat your boots up in the oven with mink oil to have it cook in and make them waterproof. Milking those little minks for oil was a PITA. But...
I remember BSC before the name change, they were supposed to have a good accounting program. We had our storm here Sunday and yesterday. Of course the snowplow had to wait until I cleared the driveway to come by. Doesn't matter how long I wait for him to come by. 5 degrees this morning at least it was above zero, had to lock the hubs in to get out through the snow. Sun is out and warming up nicely now. Cappuccino Bayfileds for me today with butyl soles and mini vibram...
I like that, well done :-) Well for the last 5 years have had only one and as of a few minutes ago now have 3.   The Katmai have vibram lug soles and I wear it as a regular boot and guess could say I use and abuse them. Suede is rough and the rear panels is longer than the rest and looks like a woolly mammoth with a bad haircut. They fit in better with something like Carhartt's than chinos IMO. But I do wear them especially when shooting sporting clays, etc. The MD x AE...
Thanks they are Russell Moccasin as well, Grand Slam Sheep Hunters but highly modified. Triple shank, 2" taller, cap toe and speed laces. Couple of years ago finally made it to the Pope and Young HQ and museum it is only half an hour from my house, was way past due. They both wore RM boots also, of course in the moccasin style that was common at the time.  [[SPOILER]]
Totally understand that! Until the snow storm hit today spent it with a Jameson B-lite pole saw cutting Oak branches around the house some almost 30' up. With the Oak blight this is one of the few times you can cut oak and have it heal before the blight hits the open tree wounds. Snow is the show stopper here for zip ups. Grew up with that so I have avoided them. The boondockers I posted earlier just slip on, zip ups on Engineering\Flight Deck boots do the same thing but...
The patriot was a large focus for me in loafers once I realized they fit me. When my burgundy shell needed resoled had B. Nelson put antique soles on them, like Alden does. Why can't AE do that out of the gate? Even after that when they need to be sent in for recrafting it would be nice as an option. But seems to be beyond their change management system. as it currently exists. When new they make a great casual shoe.  But really pop when the soles are...
 The 7 last also works for my narrow low volume foot. The Manchester was the first loafer to fit me (Patriot second) after years of trying and is one of my favorite summer shoes.  The only thing that would make them better is if they were available in shell.
 I tried to like this post more than once but it wouldn't let me, the BBS system needs fixed LOL. Has been just over 20 years since I went through dot mil to dot civ classes. It does take some deprogramming. They have different retired people come in and give their personal experiences and those helped a lot as much or more than how to get a job in the "new world" that was preached. Nothing like personal experience. Dot civ is a scary place with a young family and your in...
Just did my first one with Dab the other night and feel like it was a huge victory when he accepted my first offer at 60%. I could see how he could be addicting so am sorry, can't send any help from here!