or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

Wow great job. I really like mine also, my next shoe is the burgundy Patriot I like them that much. Where ever you land next, have fun!
I like the ring of that too, let us know how it turns out! I have 2 more cappuccino shell inbound. And if I ever take a break from getting AE shell I will be a copy cat and do rydenfan's beautiful make up of Rancourt ranger mocs in espresso shell. Now all of a sudden I have a hankering for some CC Dark Roast Stafford boots.... Good advise kentyman and I agree. I just wanted to clarify that it was only the McTavish that I darkened. Not sure how neatsfoot oil will work on...
Looking great bucksfan! Had me looking that one up as I could see that happening to me. Turns out that coffee is a natural dye  so that may be the answer, but I still would try to get it out first. Can't find anyone that has had a lot of luck getting them clean again. I put oil on my Black Hills when I first got them to knock down the orange tint and it looked like the leather Gods puked all over them. I saddle soaped them every night for more than a week and they finally...
A man after my own heart.... Sat on the deck last night with the air rifle waiting for a tree rat to come by so I could throw him on the grill for supper. I walk ever chance I get and during hunting season out walk those half my age.   Prioritization as stated by several others is the answer. I do pretty well but am on salary so work on the side to pick up additional money for shoes and other hobbies. To me it is worth the extra time and effort.  Me too and I totally...
Jump, like MWS said you can return them if they don't work nothing lost except the shoe if someone else gets it before you. I am normally a 10D on the 5 last my Elgin's fit best at 9.5D. The poron insole will take up additional room so good chance that the Elgin in your normal TTS on the 5 will fit you. Great shoe.
  That is my thought too. It looks like bloom on shell and think the leather on those is hot stuffed so it is the oils and fats coming out like MWS said. The oils and fats are hydrophobic so repel water however think the water may be pushing them out of the leather also, it is likely very saturated from when they tanned and stuffed the leather.   If they were mine and doing that I would start by using saddle soap. Although I like most AE shoe care products I only use...
Last night cut the grass for the first time this year so we have turned the corner to what the good folks up here say is the piss poor sledding time of the year. Another rainy day so calf again today. With linen and tassles. AE made Brooks 7.
Thank you for the compliment AG. I too started polishing my father's shoes when I was about 10, it was my job every Saturday night. My father wasn't able to get in the military because he lost a kidney at a fairly young age boxing but always wanted to join.   Not to keep this too far off track but I am going to have to send you another care package. When I was on recruiting duty (not much for a pit snipe to do on land) back in the mid 80's in Pa. I picked up some posters...
  Suede boots?! Sigh... I never would let anyone wear those ugly corfam’s in the Engineering spaces nor firefighting, can you imagine how long it would take for those plastic things to melt on your feet if a Class Bravo fire broke out? Another thing that a paste wax provides that creams and less polished shoes doesn’t is protection. I can just wipe off my polished calf after being exposed to snow and rain and am good to go until I get home to take proper care of them. On...
Another rainy day so calf again today. Black calf Leeds with 2 coats of blue wax on top.