or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

I like quite a few others on here am not a fan of AE cordovan cream. I use Saphir Cordovan Cordovan cream and the rare times it is needed Saphir Wax polish in Mahogany #9. These are the old finish AE shell and it has been working well for me. 
 Thanks for posting that Mike, been waiting a long time for someone to do so. My Walnut Dundees are identical in color to my Ravello chukkas so was thinking Whiskey had to pretty light. Think instead the answer is it depends LOL, and of course the age of the shell. And great looking Walnut Strands!
My first thoughts exactly, great post thefoxtooth. Kahuna75 you are a blessed man if your wife likes the looks of a heritage or semi-dress work boots. I wish AE made more of a selection along those lines. I really like my black cherry RW Beckmans, the featherstone leather was a bear to break in but worth it once it did. Bayfield CXL, 744 made by AE, RW Beckman, Krause also made by AE I went through Red Wing yesterday and will be going to Red Wing on Wednesday. While Red...
bucksfan what a pleasant surprise to see your post this morning! I hope all is well with you and the family. Yes your pictures do help, I feel much better about my decision to store my shoes in bags knowing that you do too 
 I do use neutral on some of the more complex edges. But on those would use brown and only do half of one shoe at a time and quickly wipe with a rag and not let it sit more than 15 sec. or so
 Several have mentioned that AE boots lack eyelets, in the case of the chukka AE beats Alden hands down IME. Several on the Alden thread have mentioned that the 2 eyed Alden chukka has a tendency to slip, I would be also in that camp. My foot is also not fond of the Barrie last which most Alden chukkas are built on. The 3 eyed AE Dundee really stands out to me as the perfect blend for a chukka in both function and form  I will be selling my Alden Ravello chukkas when I get...
Shiny just realized that you requested a picture of my burgundy turned brown Leeds. The picture I posted is of brown shell, and I think that is closer to Alden cigar. A few pages back are pictures of burgundy which has been lightened by sunlight which is the same thing as aging. The older AE burgundy turns a slightly different color though. In some ways I think we have been spoiled by AE and shell colors for a long time all we had was burgundy and black. When brown came...
They have only been worn about 2 times since I had them made. When we tried to get a group buy on here for a MTO think I was the only one that ended up going with it and they waived the MTO fee (this was before Paul made his generous offer to SF members).  I went back and forth with AE several times about the welt and they kept saying they couldn't do what I wanted. They ended up sending me natural which wasn't what I expected. It is the same natural as on the Elgin and...
I think it looks great GOP, well done! I tried wearing brown shoes with blue once and kept looking over my shoulder all day... Some can pull it off but I can't, guess I'm just too conservative (and old according to some LOL). Your combo however I would not hesitate to wear, good call IMO on the grey glen plaid and walnut shoes, looks sharp. They do look great, nice score and well done. AE Burgundy shell turns brown over time. My Leeds turned almost solid brown and I have...
I wasn't going to mention shell but seeing how you mention Leeds... a PTB is the best place to start with shell IMO. My first pair of AE shoes was a pair of black calf Leeds they are actually interchangeable with US military shoes. My first pair of shell was burgundy Leeds. Quite awhile back Adam posted a picture of his black shell Leeds that he had used VSC on and I immediately wished that my black ones were shell instead of calf. Which surprised me because for the most...