or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

Gave me a strange feeling to type in Allen Edmonds in the search box at shop my exchange and get back Sorry this item is unavailable. It was almost as bad to type in special order program and get a page back saying sorry the Special Order Program is no longer available. 3 weekends ago I was with a couple other retired military and AAFES came up. One of the gentleman suggested that they fire the management (it is civilian run) at AAFES and start over. I thought that was a...
I agree with everyone else that the soles will last longer, or at least as long, as standard soles. Interesting question on the uppers. I think they will last as long as regular calf but my brown Jeffersons do crease a lot more than standard calf. Not badly but certainly a lot more and slightly different creasing. I don't put much wax on them but usually use leather conditioner fairly often then brush and buff. Seeing how I am bagging, tagging and taking pictures of my...
Nice and well done, the waxy tan saddle leather of the Elgin is my favorite of the rough collection, including CXL. I was thinking the other day that if AE had any left I would consider it for a pair of MTO boots.  I have been using Bickmore Bick 4 to treat them and then buffing, it has been working well for me.lightbox Elgin
A couple of years ago we tried to get a MTO together on here. AE said we needed 10 people and the specs needed to be the same, by the time it was done I was the only one left but they did let me do it anyhow.    Walnut Shell of course would be determined by the ability of Horween to supply it. But I certainly would be very interested in another boot in Walnut Shell. The butyl leather soles longevity can be hit or miss as heldentenor said. I have them on several of my...
I like quite a few others on here am not a fan of AE cordovan cream. I use Saphir Cordovan Cordovan cream and the rare times it is needed Saphir Wax polish in Mahogany #9. These are the old finish AE shell and it has been working well for me. 
 Thanks for posting that Mike, been waiting a long time for someone to do so. My Walnut Dundees are identical in color to my Ravello chukkas so was thinking Whiskey had to pretty light. Think instead the answer is it depends LOL, and of course the age of the shell. And great looking Walnut Strands!
My first thoughts exactly, great post thefoxtooth. Kahuna75 you are a blessed man if your wife likes the looks of a heritage or semi-dress work boots. I wish AE made more of a selection along those lines. I really like my black cherry RW Beckmans, the featherstone leather was a bear to break in but worth it once it did. Bayfield CXL, 744 made by AE, RW Beckman, Krause also made by AE I went through Red Wing yesterday and will be going to Red Wing on Wednesday. While Red...
bucksfan what a pleasant surprise to see your post this morning! I hope all is well with you and the family. Yes your pictures do help, I feel much better about my decision to store my shoes in bags knowing that you do too 
 I do use neutral on some of the more complex edges. But on those would use brown and only do half of one shoe at a time and quickly wipe with a rag and not let it sit more than 15 sec. or so
 Several have mentioned that AE boots lack eyelets, in the case of the chukka AE beats Alden hands down IME. Several on the Alden thread have mentioned that the 2 eyed Alden chukka has a tendency to slip, I would be also in that camp. My foot is also not fond of the Barrie last which most Alden chukkas are built on. The 3 eyed AE Dundee really stands out to me as the perfect blend for a chukka in both function and form  I will be selling my Alden Ravello chukkas when I get...