or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

Nicely done Doc, they look great!
Another great shoe which is on clearance and being discontinued by AE, hard to believe. I was considering a MTO in burgundy shell but that is no longer an option.
Congrats on your new and first pair of shell, they have faded to a beautiful color.  This X2, Leeds are not blobby they are normal IMO. The Leeds can be used as a direct substitute for the dress shoe worn by the US Military. I don't believe you can get any more American than that.
They are one of the few shoes still made by AE with corrected grain leather that I am aware of. AE used to call their corrected grain leather polished cobbler leather. I have an older pair of Shelton's that are cobbler leather, they switched to calf for the Shelton a number of years ago. I have always worn them as a "fun" shoe such as dates, etc. Agree that it handles foul weather well but it also doesn't age as gracefully as calf. But still works for a fun type shoe.  I...
The color is almost identical to my C&J for RL Marlow's which was labeled cognac until a few years ago. The AE CS rep pulled the make up order history for the 744's and it was listed as brown shell, same stock number as the standard brown shell. She went so far as to make the person that pulled the shell go out to the shed where they store shell and show her where they got it. She talked to everyone involved in the manufacturing process and carried one of my boots with her...
 I've been thinking about this and can't think of a better person to run with the ball than Mike, if your willing? I think Walnut would be really hard to come with the shortage, it has been hard enough for Horween to get horse hides as it is but to get clear enough ones for Walnut must be really hard. If AE was willing to do a small number of shell MTO could they ask Horween what colors they may have in stock and are available?  If nothing except the standard colors are...
  Gave me a strange feeling to type in Allen Edmonds in the search box at shop my exchange and get back Sorry this item is unavailable. It was almost as bad to type in special order program and get a page back saying sorry the Special Order Program is no longer available. 3 weekends ago I was with a couple other retired military and AAFES came up. One of the gentleman suggested that they fire the management (it is civilian run) at AAFES and start over. I thought that was a...
I agree with everyone else that the soles will last longer, or at least as long, as standard soles. Interesting question on the uppers. I think they will last as long as regular calf but my brown Jeffersons do crease a lot more than standard calf. Not badly but certainly a lot more and slightly different creasing. I don't put much wax on them but usually use leather conditioner fairly often then brush and buff. Seeing how I am bagging, tagging and taking pictures of my...
Nice and well done, the waxy tan saddle leather of the Elgin is my favorite of the rough collection, including CXL. I was thinking the other day that if AE had any left I would consider it for a pair of MTO boots.  I have been using Bickmore Bick 4 to treat them and then buffing, it has been working well for me.lightbox Elgin
A couple of years ago we tried to get a MTO together on here. AE said we needed 10 people and the specs needed to be the same, by the time it was done I was the only one left but they did let me do it anyhow.    Walnut Shell of course would be determined by the ability of Horween to supply it. But I certainly would be very interested in another boot in Walnut Shell. The butyl leather soles longevity can be hit or miss as heldentenor said. I have them on several of my...