or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

I wore nothing but Red Wings for more than 30 years, the Vasque Sundowner. From the mid 70's until 10 years ago I wore them for everything everywhere and around the world, hunting, hiking, etc. Then the last pair I bought the soles delaminated in the first month. Found out later that Red Wing had moved production from Italy to China and ruined the best boot ever made IMO. It sent me in search of a replacement and I decided to start wearing different boots for various...
 Correct. The keg of Red Dot gunpowder that my Toller is sitting in for my avator I purchased in 83  after I took the USS Coral Sea around the world. You can only get 8 lb. kegs of gunpowder for quite awhile now. Eddie Bauer was an upland hunter and dog man among other things but he was passionate about it.
Looking good! I wish my heels were not so narrow and they would have worked for me. Really limits me now that I know the Barrie last does not fit me. But I am VERY pleased to see they have found such a great home 
My toe caps have been fine. I know at least 2 people on here way back treated their 721's with Sno Seal and so does Crane's. And on all 3 of them the toe caps has dented in and lost form.  bkotsko by chance did you treat yours with Sno-Seal or other waterproofing agents? If not then Buddy0329 I would certainly look into the Wolverine warranty before purchasing. Even though AE made them Wolverine I believe would handle any warranty issues. As to which of course both but...
Ha why does that not surprise me?! Drinks are still on me though 
2 totally different boots IMO. The Alden is more of a dress boot and I agree it is different enough from a wingtip that it is worth getting. I wear my Grant last #8 captoes and AE Cappuccino Bayfields a lot more than wingtip boots, but still almost always as dress boots. The 744 I only wear casually. But I wear them a lot and sometimes in rough conditions without any issues at all. I wear them so much because I love how they fit and feel and part of that is because they...
Great example with Eddie Bauer. They strayed too far from their roots and targeted the urban crowd with cheaply made crap. Now they are trying to enter back into the hunting market, too little and too late. I don't know anyone that actually spends time in the field that has an Eddie Bauer anything any more and I know that I never will.    LL Bean was able to do it, when the prep crowd discovered them I was afraid the same would happen. But it didn't and they have managed...
The thought has crossed my mind more than once... Seeing how you likely have the largest collection of AE shell and exotics in existence I am sure it has yours for the same reason. I'm thinking a random orbit buffer but it would have to be small enough and adjustable to go slow enough. Maybe thick wool pads and the ability to put a microfiber cloth on it to finish? It may be worth a try. Yeah Renovateur is pretty aggressive. On calf especially where I want to keep...
Yes I do, very much so! Thank you good sir  Been wearing them around the house for a couple of hours in the evening all week, look forward to shifting colors and getting underway with my new gunboats next week. That is a unicorn if there ever was one! I had no idea AE had ever done a whiskey shell anything before. Yeah if only they were my size... 
The LWB has always been a special shoe for me, at least in my mind. I will do a MTO in burgundy (with exposed brass eyelets of course!) eventually not sure about welt and sole though. A gentleman on here recently had a MTO MacNeil in cappuccino shell for sale. AE did the welt and sole wrong on it, different than what he specified so they were never worn and sat in his closet. He was generous enough to sell them to me and I fully expected to send them in to have the welt...