or Connect

Posts by Cold Iron

Ah the smell of copper (cold bluing) reminds me of walking into most gun shows. I'm not a fan of cold bluing, especially on wheel guns but have done it for light touch ups on long guns. I have found heating the metal and using 409 cleaner as a wetting agent helps a lot. And of course oil free 0000 steel wool. At least with Brownells oxpho blue. Check out Mark Lee Express bluing it is a rust bluing that is a lot more durable and better looking. If you can boil water and use...
Quiet here lately...   Found the 16 ga. Ithaca 37 26" IC I was looking for. Need to refinish the stock and pull the oil that has entered the wood around the head of the buttstock. Shot it a number of times in SC and what a blast. It will see some time hunting ruff grouse this fall. I was having so much fun shooting it at clays the rest of my squad accused me of playing with my food. I was breaking dropping targets right before the hit the ground waiting till the last...
 Tin cloth isn't what it used to be. The Tin Cloth hunting pants used to be able to stand up on their own.  Anymore not so much. Good news is that there is nothing like well worn and duct taped Filson Tin to tell the Orvis crowd no need to apply for membership. Any Barbour item would be shredded in a lot less time with the same use. 
On the Mn. side I consider Lanesboro the epicenter, on the Wi. side of the Mississippi River Viroqua. Strangely enough both are small towns with a strong Arts focus and some would say somewhat quirky. I've never fished the Wi. side but I know when Gary Borger was getting his PhD at UW at Madison his wife and him fished a lot of the driftless region but now live over in Wausau Wi. Something tells me that is a good spot to trout fish....    Preston, Mn. considers itself...
LOL. Brighter color on natives in addition to the fins. Although after in the water long enough they are hard to tell apart. And if they live long enough both are hard to take on the same presentation twice. In the 80's did a deployment to the North Atlantic and England was one of the port of calls. A shipmate from Alaska and I took our fly rods with us, excited as hell to be going to the birthplace of fly fishing. Can't recall the port we pulled in but Arundel Castle was...
And Dr. Pope also hunted in Russell Moccasins. And wore a tie while doing so. No treebark camo, rubber boots and scent shield for him. Not sure if we have gone forward so much as backwards in some ways.  
Last summer I finally stopped at the Pope and Young Museum and Headquarters in Chatfield, Mn. Drove by the place for years and as an Archery hunter thought I should finally check it out LOL. Pretty much had the place to myself and the curator spent a couple of hours with me. Know I'm getting old when he asked me if would consider donating my first bow and treebark camo... One of the displays of Art Young caught my eye     And I immediately said they look like Russell...
Yes they are an interesting story, Babe Ruth owned one they have been around a couple hundred years. They almost went extinct about the time I got into them. At the National Specialty last fall the pup did OK, not great in conformation but not terrible either. I don't do the conformation showing if I can help it and when the breeder became ill the #1 Grand Champion breeder\owner Dan Rode showed the pup for me. It is a pretty tight group of great people, and...
Aye @JLibourel I have been around the breed more than 30 years now and quite fond of them. The Toller in my avatar sitting in an empty 12 pound keg of Red Dot is now retired from hunting for the last 2 years. The pup in the picture above just turned one last fall when I took the picture. Likely my best hunter so far. If the breeders program goes as expected I will be picking up another one in July and hunting with a brace of Tollers soon. The old boy did OK in his day too...
If the Beretta SP (6xx) series fit you well there is a very good chance the B. Rizzini and FAIR (I. Rizzini) guns will also. I own a few of all the above. Browning's do not fit me and feel like a fence post in comparison. My primary target gun is a Joel Etchen Gun custom SP with EELL wood  But for field carry use a 687 Ultralight, 28" tubes and weighs only 6 pounds in 12 ga.  Although when I'm really serious about killing birds I usually reach for the Benelli Ultralight...