or Connect

Posts by DrAvant

^^^That's awesome. Hope you kicked its ass!
I hadn't heard of that study about the physician dress but had a feeling that might be correct.  I do think the white coat hyptertension is a real thing and toning it down a bit for patient, while remaining professional is a good thing.  As for the ties, I thought they had done studies that showed the ties did grow various bacteria.  I guess there's always conflicting studies out there, though I share your sentiment that the MBA's in the upstairs office need to butt-out...
Oh jeez, Ortho...haha.  I start with Ortho for my first month of residency in July. I love powertools and hammers just as much as the other guy, but a month is enough  I went to med school at a school with a really old school surgery program and the surgeons wore suits and ties far more often than the internists.  The school of thought was that if you weren't in the OR you had to be dressed up.  There was a legend going around that the Chief of Surgery ran down a resident...
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the personal statement.  I don't want to sound defeatist but just make it good enough to not hurt you and leave it at that. Embellishment can work a little but interviewers can easily tell how true your statement is if they ask about it.  And not many interviewers will ask.  Alot of people get in trouble trying to make their statement this powerhouse and just end up with something a little too overbearing, which ends up hurting...
I am a surgery resident and I'm stuck wearing scrubs most days, unfortunately.  On days that I dress professionally it is key that I look clean cut but not too stiff...establishing rapid patient rapport is crucial in the busy clinic or ER.  I tend to eschew the white coat and just roll up my sleeves while taking out stitches (or putting them in, for that matter).  I probably wear a bow more often than most people because it's just so much easier to deal with.  Though I...
Of course, I understand the appeal of getting new things. I also enjoy the familiarity and comfort of "old" things.In my view, part of the reason for the decline of quality clothing is due to this attitude of disposability of clothing. This jacket may very well have reached the end but it's worth a quick trip to the tailor to attempt a salvage.
The Kentucky Derby is coming up and they would look great at the track.  And here in Louisville we take these things seriously.
A venture into tailored clothing won't hurt and if you don't end up getting hooked you might get some ideas on ways to improve your OTR clothes.  You mentioned your dress clothes last a long time and you'll get years of wear out of any garment you end up with.   It might be a good idea to go with something classic for a first tailored experience.  It might be tempting to experiment with cloth and other flair but you'll get a better sense of the benefits of tailoring...
  Thanks for all the great replies and glad someone else could get in on the fun. I pop my collar often when running between hospitals.  It's getting a little too warm to wear this coat now so I'll take the spring to do some experimenting.
Just stumbled on this thread looking for wedding advice, but I'm a 4th year getting ready for Match Day on Friday!!  Looks like there are some other fourth years here as well.  Best of luck and I hope you all get your #1.   Who will be getting a bespoke white coat for July?   And for those about to take Step 1, I can whole-heartedly second those that said the question banks are money (yeah, good pun).