or Connect

Posts by herringbonePete

Can't make it this time, Cox but there is always another opportunity.I've spoken to members about the singing I do with a fine mob in Melbourne which gives me an excuse to don black-tie. I'm a bit more coy about naming and shaming on a public forum...but will announce our dates nearer the time Cheers
Forgot to say, as my wife points out - my mate has filled his home with expensive antiques..... we all have a poison..!
Appreciate the responses and I have to agree with all of them. I also believe that SF is a tool that can teach a man how to spend sensibly and get intrinsic value. We all get the fact that high spend does not always mean top-end. There seems to be high-end and top-end...   I am not ashamed to be one of the TM Lewin tragics: I simply don't get a lot of utility in going anywhere else - but I will give Luxuire ago now I have a template from 1 made to measure shirt. And...
Got a question Guys.   I was talking to a mate last night who absolutely detests all sort of what he considers vanity and display of unnecessary finesse.   We moved on to menswear - whilst we agree on alot of timeless values, I don't think he'd ever read these forums. I told him that the basics need not be ostentatious. Which brings me to my question - especially for the married blokes - how the hell do you guys afford the high-end clothes that are out there - or more...
  The jacket the GJ Cleverley CEO is wearing is a beautiful example of an old classic, and favourite of mine - a tweed windowpane overcheck, but in this case,  cut in a slightly more contemporary fashion.
 I prefer stripes over patterns - as an ex-serviceman I can wear a few repp ties and not offend  - my school tie was the same as the MCC which got us some attention as schoolboys - also Harry Potter's school as selected by wardrobe! I also like a yellow and blue striped tie - TM Lewin had one on sale for 32 dollars a few weeks ago. I do find many patterns on ties rather busy. Pink Socks' idea is sound though- I can see the attraction of plain ties with little motifs - the...
   I go to Target to buy clothes for the kids - note - less budget left for me - and you know what, Target is starting to carry decent stuff for the money.The styling is up there (and possibly inspired by) with the big boys - even if the quality is not top drawer. It's certainly not all trailer-trash - there are staples there like crewneck jumpers, quilted vests, brogues and boots. Their business wear is still awful.   Years ago, going by the Melbourne Mx, the Sydneysiders...
Wool Overs. I bought a blue lambswool crewneck 4 years ago and it is still going strong - at home after work, a go-to jumper, or over a shirt at work on a Friday.Simply unbeatable. I will go back for more. Not sure how they compare with the Uniqlo equivalent. I also have a 'shooting' jumper with shoulder patches - love that look.  
 CD, what makes you think a TM will shrink more? I favour TM Lewin over CT due to the softer collars (unfused) - for me the sign of a good shirt. I've bought shirts from Myer etc at, as FXH says, at thrice the price and they have bubbled within a year. They did remove the darts from their semi-fitted range in the last year or so - I liked the darts -  but the size is moreortheless the same. Washing on cold (15mins) and line-drying means I use a TM in weekly rotation for 2...
I've been wearing brogues, closed, infact, with jeans for years.  Don't sweat it. In fact, it was my default for years - never wore trainers with jeans. I didn't barely distinquish between oxford and bluchers: I even wore black bluchers with suits but preferred the closed shoes with jeans - cleaner lines, that was what was sold to me, not due to formality. Much prefer the closed photo with jeans. Less bulk.