or Connect

Posts by herringbonePete

I think hipsterdom is just part of a trend-setting urban group.Hipsters get picked on because they take it to an extreme - thick glasses and beards have been in fashion for well over a decade -hipsters take it one more step with their bikes (etc).Trend-setting is also mainstream - in the 70s and 80s part of the Punk and New-Romantic look was mainstream.
I first noticed this trend in about 1997 long before anyone started talking about hipsters. Back then in London fashions suddenly changed almost in a year.In 1996 people were still wearing colourful cotton shirts - a year later we saw black, turtle neck collars, glasses. it was a distinctly metro-urban look which seems to have been around well beforethe latest incarnation of the hipster. They have just taken that look to the next level! It's not a trend I like or would...
Just got some new shirts in the post. 2 don't have a spread collar  - (they didn't have the spread in stock for that colour and check combo)  I generally buy business shirts with spread collars - especially in a check - so I can wear them 7 days a week if I fancy it taking the shirt from work to home with no dramas.   The point collars don't look right on me when I wear them business casual open neck, no tie.   There is a school of though on SF that point collars are...
 Speaking as a former Londoner, there are sorts of 'tiers' in the workforce.You get the fully-paid up bloke in a sharp suit - regardless of whether he is Oxbridge and then you get the wheeler-dealer who has aped the traditional look.Then in the outer suburbs or the West End you get a sort of watered-down look.Noone really expects pin-stripes in the City of London.What you do see is a fairly high common denominator borne of blokes being taught how to dress by their fathers,...
As to the hole in the shoes, I have a larger rotation now.   But I have to fix the older pair of shoes that weren't on rotation and still have life in them.
 Yup - a topy.Guys a question:I actually topy happily on the base....but I have worn out shoes from the inside. Where a hole in the footbed wore through the midsection and eventually wore out to the point where the only thing keeping my foot dry was - the topy! The shoes were chucked.In another shoe, I now have another hole in just the first layer of material (maybe more, I can't see).SO what can be done, and what preemptive work do people do?A simple thin liner - (not so...
I wear french cuffs at the weekend: camper than a row of tents!
 I think that Alden do look a bit blobby - and that, moreorless, even Loake or entry level English look less blobby.And I don't think most members want a Euro - Rumpelish pointed look - in fact this entire thread on SF was started by a revulsion for extreme, spiky, pointy shoes.People want elegance. I agree that Vass might be a bit OTT at that angle. And I agree that the Hiro is actually a nice shape - actually I think it's bang on. But the Aldens in my price range don't...
 Absolutely agree - you simply can't go wrong with Herring - and, I gather, unless it's the cheapest Loake, made in India, even Loake is ok for my money.Again, you can obsess with leather.    Aha! My daughters watch it - and as I walked by I saw the clothes.  
 I was looking at this a few weeks ago : great blog.  That's how I see it.  Agreed on the chukkas. I want to get a pair of RM williams chuckers to replace my brown leather ones when they get, er chucked.   I only have one short-sleeved shirt and it is simply too big in the arms. What do they say on SF - bus driver sleeves?So now I just roll up long-sleeved shirts. Might look into Uniqlo. Did anyone see the Block last night. End of season grand finale etc: Lots of soft...