or Connect

Posts by herringbonePete

Has anyone noticed that you can't buy narrow cotton? laces any more from a mall stand- the local shoe cobblers sell a thick braided lace which looks terrible - and call them dress shoe laces.   Went to my local mall yesterday - I needed a new pair of thin brown laces for my shoes - of the sort of quality that came with the shoe when it was new.   It seems I will have to go to an established cobbler in the city.
 This one has come up before but I have worn medium tweeds - at least 14oz? quite happily in Melbourne and continue to wear them in Autumn and Spring.
At the risk of being absolutely contrarian with most of the board:   1) Never OCBD - it may be OK in the States. 2) I always wear jeans with tweed and odd jackets - or moleskin and much less likely, cord. If I was to wear wool or flannel they would need to be plain front and be quite snug. To me, loosely fitted formal trousers spoil the lines of the sports jacket and frankly do look dressed up in these days we live in. I've always thought that jeans act as a sort of...
 It's a kind of 'movie' stance - making for an effortless ride.  Thanks CD, I remember we talked at the last Dress for Success event. I tried on the trousers again the night before the visit to Sam's and decided they were really huge and that alteration was risky. On the way in, clutching my suit bag, rather than get off at Southern Cross, I got off early at Parliament and proceeded down Collins on the 109...ulterior motive? when suddenly I found myself at TM Lewin. (Yes I...
Hi I have to have a dinner suit's sleeves shortened, and trousers shortened and even narrowed (tapered) by Friday 23rd. That is pickup - I know Melbourne's finest can turn them around if I get my skates on. I normally go to Katrina's but I am willing to try Sam's in docklands tomorrow - as I tend to have to really plead to get sleeves shortened where I want them.   I am thinking that the clock is ticking.   The trousers have a satin stripe down them but they can be...
FXHGet a laser printer that uses toners. We invested in a duplex printer which was a good 500 dollars minimum.I was weighing up this option myself a few months ago and the results are in -  no more splatter - no more smudging. If like me you could go weeks without use all that is required is to shake the toner if necessary. I was tired of inkjets and their dried up ink. I am sure that there is an increased cost of toners - but we don't print in huge volumes and I am...
Used by paratroopers on their smocks when jumping out of planes only most didn't bother using them!
 Will almost certainly get to the next Wear Event having paid and failed to get to the Christmas event. Saw some familiar faces from the Spring event in the Bond photos. PS, for winter,  I also want to get a padded jacket - just missed out on a Barbour Endurance on the Bay.
Ollie you get a bit of stick but unlike you I dislike penny loafers (they strike me as American Ivy)and any shoe I consider to be a bit gauche...I only wear chukkas (any variety includes RMs) brogues (any variety, suede or leather but I am a sucker for suede semi-brogue toecaps) and bluchers. I'm not keen even on back toecapped oxfords. I'd rather wear black brogues.
Late to the party:I bought a pair of leather soled RM boots 10 years ago and destroyed them with overwear - sort of from the inside out. They needed topies every 6 months but a hole I delayed fixing was the final straw.5 years ago I bought a second pair and was persuaded by the saleswoman that the comfort sole was about a 100 dollars replacement but that this was a rarity.I admit that I now rotate my shoes but even after 4 years of wear M-F I have only just started to wear...