or Connect

Posts by herringbonePete

I remember at Uni, if you were a bit outsdoorsy it might have been de rigeur in some parts to wear your Berghaus boots around Campus.The idea was probably that you were sportybut not flash.... I didn't though!
 Good game for a rugby fan Geoff. Yesterday, I bought some antiques in a garage sale in my road, the owner turned out to be an ex-Wallaby. (Name withheld on this public forum!) Might get the tweed out for my Sunday arvo trip to city.
France beat Wallabies 29-26.   Wallabies weren't flattered during much of the match but were still in it - then scored 7 points in the last 5 mins......   Good game
 If like you, a man is well dressed and timeless he is not a dandy - but in some circles he will be gazed on perhaps with interest, positive or negative. Now we are back probably on a timeless classic of this forum - why we dress like we do - and whether there are indeed norms or even rules..  In some circles, anyone well dressed might be considered narcissistic if noone else is. I get out to blue-collar sites and do you know what, I am considered a metrosexual - which is...
I don't think we are overthinking (but some of us might be guilty of worrying).   There is a fine line somewhere.   First impressions count.   People do notice nuances - and there is a line between smart business dress which we at SF can debate infinitely. In law firms etc, people do notice cheap suits. In IT firms people might not notice. In middle Melbourne a suit is a suit is a suit.   Pocket squares are ever so slightly in the flamboyant camp - by a degree -...
I can see what LM (and Papa)  is saying - it's not perhaps your problem if someone judges you for wearing a pocket square but in line with what others are saying, it could become your problem if a relationship then sours....   it's easy to say that someone must have their head up their arse in order to take offence at a pocket square but they might say that the pocket square wearer has their head up their arse.   To me a pocket square denotes a man who is well put...
 I agree to disagree. As I've said before, I always wear jeans with sports jackets - simply because they provide the corset for the legs which the jacket provides for the upper body.It helps I am a mesormorph, am fairly trim, and I find you have to wear brogues or chelsea boots - anything else is too metro or daggy. Wool/flannel trousers look wrong on me - always something wrong with the rise or waist, or drape, which make me look frumpy. Bespoke would be the only way...
     I lived in a French speaking country for 3 years and if I recall Blue was basically a steak sealed - (wipe it's arse and cut it's horns off)and I preferred it "bloody". (saignant). You could then move on to à point, moyenne....a veritable sliding scale... My whole experience told me that Anglo-Saxon countries basically over cook their meat...
My experience that even buying "last chance", inbound, in Melbourne from LA that in fact the duty free is much cheaper - remember that they sale by the litre and not 700ml. My bottle of Laphroaig was about 60 dollars from memory when the same thing would have been around 100 in Dans. In LA you get a mid-range whisky (Macellan) for about 50 dollars, and a cheap Glenfidditch for barely 40 dollars.
Whether we do that is all up in the air at the moment