or Connect

Posts by Simon at Elite

One of the many reasons I would never buy a fused suit. I'd rather pay the extra for a full canvas. However, no matter how many times you explain the benefits of a full canvas suit and how over the long term buying full canvas suits will save you money, too many people decide on the cheaper fused option.   $449 is a good price for a custom tailored half canvas suit and the $150 surcharge only makes it $599 for the full canvas. Still quite reasonable for a good suit
Agree 100%   If your collar is too tight when to button is fastened then the simple answer is your shirt is the wrong size. I'm amazed how many people fail to realise this very simple concept.   Over half the shirts I see people wear don't fit them properly. I was once in a fairly high level business meeting  and one of the participant's shirts had the shoulder seams of his shirt sitting at least two inches down his arm. Seeing this guy had obviously looked in the mirror...
No remakes ever? As the owner of an online MTM site I'd love to know their secret as would anyone else in the business. It obvious that they are outsourcing their tailoring to one of the Asian suit factories (did you note there was no mention of the suit canvas used anywhere on the site. Want to bet that means it's fused?)  and I can tell you from experience that even if the measurements are spot on mistakes still happen. Even at the ones with CAD patterns and laser...
A lot of tailors do this. It's to stop you from putting stuff in the pockets which will ruin the line of the suit and in extreme cases even stretch the jacket out of shape.   You will find the pockets are there. There are just some large stitches holding it shut. All you need to do is get a shape knife and carefully cut the stitches making sure you don't damage the lining. I do this to all my suits and it only takes a minute or two
  Unlike most online MTM operations we're not simply a front for an Asian suit factory although we do use one of the better ones to make our budget lines. The vast majority of our suits are made by trained and experienced tailors. We have 11 in the roster. While, most are based in China the rest are spread out all over Asia       There is something we both agree on. Although there is some crossover I think we are talking about two different markets. Visiting a true...
My thoughts as well. While reading his suggestions I started to think that after some of the proposed alterations the suit may become rather tight in some areas.
It's hard to tell from the picture but they appear to perhaps be a little wide in the hips and the legs seem to taper into very tight at the knee and then widen again giving a flared effect. However it could just be the picture or the fact that the trousers simply need a good press. Overall though I like the suit
  I think it looks good. I see a few minor issues especially with the trousers which you might address on your next suit but overall I don't think you can complain too much for $299.   I love these new flannel type fabrics coming out of China and I don't understand why we don't see more suits sold in them. Kudos for going with the double breasted as well. Something else we need to see more of.
As someone in the online MTM business I am in the position to explain the issues the industry faces. As I'm discussing this from my own perspective and experience you will have to excuse me if some of this comes across as promotion but it's hard to explain the issues without referencing what I face in my own business. However there will be no names or links which I hope will show this is more about discussing the issues the industry as a whole faces   It's been my...
  Until I read your post I had never heard of Propersuit. I think you're comparing two different types of services here even though I would say the suits come form similar places. Indochino are an online service with their suits made in Shanghai while Propersuit appear to have a more personalised service. They seem to arrange to have you measured then arrange the production of the suits.   To me the only reason I'd go with Indochino is the price. However, $650 for a full...