or Connect

Posts by Simon at Elite

A tale of two suits. Which one would you buy?
 This is a lengthy post just a couple up in the thread. I think it highlights a few issues 1. Sometimes mistakes just happen. As much as we try to be perfect occasionally something slips through. In this case the fabric choice was changed but we made the suit in the first selected fabric rather than the final choice. 2. We fixed it immediately I can tell you from experience that when you order something online and what's delivered isn't what you ordered you start to panic....
One of the things I like about this business is that most of the customers are great people and the feedback I receive is overwhelmingly positive. Woke up this morning to two emails from customers. The first from a customer in Texas who bought a suit and a couple of pair of trousers  A couple of minor tweaks to his measurements and an Almost Bespoke Clissold Suit is on it's way Hopefully he will be as happy with his Clissold suit as this customer from Sweden was with his A...
Just how important are "S"numbers when choosing a suit fabric?   You can read my thoughts on the subject HERE   One important paragraph you should remember when buying a suit   Vintage suits were not slapped together by machines in a factory using a fused canvas and cheap poor quality wool. They were made by hand, fully canvassed and made from a high quality wool from one of the worlds great clothmakers.
The first measurement is the shoulder the second is the yoke. They are two different measurements. Most suitmakers want the first one.
I think both sides of this argument have merit and in some cases both sides are wrong.   If you're getting multiple fittings at the various stages of construction of your suit then it's bespoke. Where the actual tailoring done is irrelevant. There is no difference in stitching a suit in a workshop in Melbourne as compared to a workshop in Lisbon or Shanghai. Many bespoke tailors all over the world today are outsourcing their actual tailoring.   However, if you're going...
Why are you paying $500 or more for a fused canvas suit?   Here are My Thoughts on Suit Canvas Methods
 I agree completely but aren't you really talking about the top end of the market with suits costing $2,000, $3,000 or even more? If you go into 90% of the so called tailors that have physical stores what you will see is suits and shirts, fabric samples and possibly even some bolts of cloth. What you won't see is any signs of anybody actually making suits and if you go back six months later you will see those same bolts of cloth sitting there untouched. Very few...
The reason Miyhalle purchased the suit from us is not going to be explained by pictures of him wearing the suit. For a start we had no control over the final fit. He sent us a suit with the instructions to replicate the size exactly which is what we did so his new suit will fit the same as the suit he sent us. On all the online suit threads there is an obsession with fit. Sure, it's important that a suit fits properly but when it gets down to it the quality of the fit...
A lot of people won't order a custom made suit online because they are worried about getting the measurements right. I've said many times that it's not rocket science and when you consider the number of suits we sell we actually have very few problems with wrong measurements.There are many ways you can check that your measurements are right and even if you are out by a centimetre or two there is usually enough margin for small errors or at worst it's easily and...