or Connect

Posts by seer

1. I'm going to use the Blake boot more for casual wear. I have the Chippewa Bean Cap Toe boot for heavy lifting. I think the Blake boot will work fine for my needs. 2. Thanks, I found your gallery! Great looking shells!
I couldn't find your gallery.
Thanks guys...
I'm about to order a Blake boot, do any of you have experience with them? Are they well made? I recently read that the insole was not up to par, something about leather being wrapped around plastic. Any thoughts? Pictures would also be nice. Thanks...
I would not polish, but do use a good conditioner or boot oil. I once had some dust ruin the finish on a pair of Alden in natural CXL. Keep the leather moist and healthy.
The LL Bean model (cap toe) is a heavily oiled leather (harder to get a shine). And the new service boots don't have the removable insole (which I needed). I had ordered the service boot from Zappos -  that is why I sent them back. I'm not sure, but to me, the Bean boot seemed heavier, more solid - the leather also seemed thicker. The Bean boot is definitely my go to boot for the zombie apocalypse... ;  )
 Sure, but I like a more even color. Which they have now -  did use Obenauf's LP last night, then another coat of Saphir - I love Saphir, there is nothing better to bring out the deep color and luster in leather.
 No, I got the standard cap toe boot. And yes, I really like the new one too...
 I would say yes. I never use insulated boots here in New England, I use a heavy wool sock (actually Alpaca wool is the warmest for me) with a light nylon sock underneath. And I have gone through some pretty cold and harsh winters with no problems.  
My initial impression of my new LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots. First, I usually wear a 10E or 10.5D. - I ordered the 10.5D. The last (Munson last I believe) is quite full. They were a little big - I swapped out the insole with a thicker Red Wing insole - the fit is perfect. Now to the quality; I am 60 years old and have owned Tricker's, C&J, Alden, Viberg, Grenson, Allen Edmonds, Red Wing, etc... and these American made Chippewas are easily one of the best made, most...