or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

How much of the men's market do you think you represent?   Big risk for very little possible reward.
I already touched on this, but basically it boils down to funding and what investors expect.  In a tech startup, you are looking for huge growth, always.   If you were the CEO of a tech company, would you want to stand in front of your board and justify how you didn't hit your revenue growth goals, but man, you created an incredible hoodcoat, and man, you got some major props from hobbyists on an internet forum (a big one, too!)
Dude, their existing male audience wants tees and basic sweaters.  I wonder how their outerwear is even doing. I think one thing that we forget is that this is a tech startup, and that investors want to see multipliers in their YoY growth.  This is very different from a traditional clothing manufacturer or small designer, who are pretty happy if they get double digit growth. Also, for a company like Everlane, being in style is probably the worst thing that it could be....
I can tell you that from what I know, it's all about the dollar bills, and about growth.  It's a tech startup, NOT a designer brand.  Investors want to see double digit growth, at least.  That's a crucial difference.
You have to remember their audience and their competition.  I could see them offering the same as, say, Uniqlo, but no one is going to Everlane to get statement pieces.
It's just a matter of experience.  I work with a fair number of designers.  And everyone tells me that they make awesome stuff, but that no buyers pick it up, and when they do, that it doesn't sell on the floor, or only sells at 80% off.  
Women's is 10x bigger than mens.  Women are more trend and lifestyle driven, and turnover their clothing and accessories more, in additional to spending much more. Men are nerds who do things like inspect the construction of their clothing before putting stuff on. Men email asking more questions than women, and are less likely to purchase, and when they do, they purchase less. Draw your own conclusions.
This is pretty spot on.   I don't think that whether "creative design" is or is not a goal really  makes sense in this paradigm though.  If it's something that is useful for reaching and expanding their audience and increasing their revenue, is a better way of looking at it.
He asked to be banned in the morning.  We told him we'd really rather not do that, and allowed him his thread about his experience with No Man and his Formosa suit.  Predictably, no one agreed with his opinion, and then after he and Greg spoke privately, he asked to be banned again.  
Like an Eagle Scout?  You have to remember that he's from Colorado.  They are really into that type of stuff out there.