or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

Sorry, but no.  Apart from being a logistical nightmare, it would not be fair to the top 3 or 4 makeups, depending on what I can get.  The only way this would happen is if, for some reason, the people who voted for the Half-Japanese, the Blue Collar Garage, or perhaps the slim waxed flesh, were to not come through with orders. However, the fat waxed flesh would get the first place in line next time.  It's not the ideal situation, of course, but we are all doing the best we...
Split pea soup is awesome.  You need a good hamhock, some bacon, etc, and you finish with a drizzle of red wine or balsamic vinegar for a hit of acidity and sweetness.  I don't know if it ever became a part of the whole "elevated American" thing or the gastro-pub thing, but done right, it is fucking good. Maybe after solving this problem, Styleforum members should go to Seoul and fix Libertine.  Someone said that it took them 40 minutes to get a meal?  I nominate...
I am not going to defend how things are going now, but I don't think that what he did before was unethical, just shortsighted.  it's like trying to run a marathon the way you run a 5K.  It's just not possible, for anyone.  Put it this way, if I was going to do my own jacket with Johnson's, and that was it, I could just go pick out my own hide, my own hardware, scale up Shaun's pattern for myself, and that would be it.  That just doesn't work if you are producing more than...
You can post the jacket in our B&S section, and specify that the listing be shown in your sig.  That's the only way to do it.  It's explicitly stated in the forum that you can be banned and/or fined $500 for using the forum for commercial purposes without being an advertiser, but I'm feeling nice and full of pea soup right now.
A BMW is not really a particularly expensive car.  It's not cheap, but they are not generally true luxury cars like Roll Royces and Bentleys (which are easily in the $500K range).  A comfortably middle class person can afford BMWs and Mercedes.  I certainly think that he turned a decent profit, but I think that he did so by skimping on the things that are actually basics for a business, and that we are seeing the results now.
It's based on the Buco J-100, but updated.  it has zipped handwarmer pockets and slightly angled front chest pockets, and fits more like a fashion leather jacket than a more traditional motorcycle jacket, and will be much lighter as well (mine excluded.  But I'm used to, and like, heavy outerwear.)
Johnson's leather has their own factory in the US.
No, I don't run a MTM leather jacket company.   Yes, I do know what I'm talking about, and I know how tight the margins are for a company like Luxire. Luxire does a good job for what they do, and they have access to relatively inexpensive labor and overhead, not to mention a pre-existing infrastructure, but even they run into material cost constraints when they use top notch materials.  For example, their Sashiko jacket, made from Japanese made, natural indigo dyed sashiko...
Honestly, with the amount if customization that Drew allowed, I don't see how it could be done at under $1500, sustainably.  That's probably a low end estimate.  It's probably closer to $2K.  Gieves and Hawkes did a fully bespoke project for Simon Crompton for 4200 GBP.  That's on the high side.  I think that most non-Saville Row firms would probably find it worth their while to do this type of work for about $3K, same as a decently priced bespoke suit. Yes, there are...
More news , hopefully tomorrow.  It doesn't look like we will be allowed to do all 5 makeups though.  Brett might dropkick me through the internet.  I am going to see how much leeway that will give us.  And those that are not done will be given the same consideration as the Echo next round.  I don't want to disappoint anyone, but Viberg is slammed, and doing this type of project is something special that they don't do with anyone else.    Anyway, more tomorrow....