or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

yeah, I understand that.  But developers?  I mean, the cultural image of a developer is a fat guy with 5 days of beard and a string ponytail eating cheetos.  
Pretty much.  And they buy at retail.   Think about it.  NYC could not sustain Altelier New York.  Karlo Steele attributed the failure to their prices being undercut by European retailers.  Atelier NYC was one of the most lauded avant garde menswear retailers in the USA.  And even in the largest fashion market in the USA, Karlo Steele cited that 70% of their sales were online.  
Who are these clients who will be shocked and dismayed that developers, of all people, are wearing tees?
What do you mean by "Styleforum?"  If you mean me, I mostly already do. If you mean the core members, that's a thousands of guys.  Maybe?  But unless those guys all have aligned interests, probably not.  I mean, at Pitti Uomo this past January, there were 24K buyers.  So, more buyers than core members (about 6-7K). If you include the habitual lurkers, then we are looking at tens of thousands.  I suppose that could make a dent.  But even then, you'll find that most guys...
Men are not going to go to Everlane to buy an awesome leather jacket - they'll go to an Aero, or a Schott, or a ToJ, or SLP, or an Acne, or Epaulet, or whatever, because those brands have compelling narratives.  This is not news to anyone.  It's also the reason that Zara is so much more successful in their women's offerings than their men's, even though their men's offerings are as strong and trend driven and competitively priced.  The same reason that make's men's...
Here, this is one of the big successes in the tech'fashion sector (at least, as of last time I talked to someone about them, things change so fast): http://www.nastygal.com/   I think that they were doing something like $100MM in annual revenues.     Do you really feel that there is a male audience for similar site?  I was in Vancouver the other month, and there are about 3 "fashionable" mens' stores: Roden Gray, Neighbour, and Haven.  That'a a major metropolitan area.  
How much of the men's market do you think you represent?   Big risk for very little possible reward.
I already touched on this, but basically it boils down to funding and what investors expect.  In a tech startup, you are looking for huge growth, always.   If you were the CEO of a tech company, would you want to stand in front of your board and justify how you didn't hit your revenue growth goals, but man, you created an incredible hoodcoat, and man, you got some major props from hobbyists on an internet forum (a big one, too!)
Dude, their existing male audience wants tees and basic sweaters.  I wonder how their outerwear is even doing. I think one thing that we forget is that this is a tech startup, and that investors want to see multipliers in their YoY growth.  This is very different from a traditional clothing manufacturer or small designer, who are pretty happy if they get double digit growth. Also, for a company like Everlane, being in style is probably the worst thing that it could be....
I can tell you that from what I know, it's all about the dollar bills, and about growth.  It's a tech startup, NOT a designer brand.  Investors want to see double digit growth, at least.  That's a crucial difference.