or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

On a nearly completely unrelated note, I have had many disappointing experiences with "World Famous" burgers, and also "The best Apple pies not made by mom."
Yeah, well, DW is entitled to his POV.  We are here to discuss this stuff, after all.  Although I don't agree with DW about marketing, and that you can't both make a good product and make good money, I think that he deserves everyone's respect.  Give respect, get respect, right?
"Objectively better" is a lazy term, like "quality".  It depends on the consumer values of your target demographic.  Let's step away from shoes, again.   I want a Humvee.  Really.  Laugh all you want, but my number one concern on the road is safety.  I want the original thing.  With armor.  There are a lot of bad drivers on our roads.  And if the worse comes, I want to have the best chance of me and my family walking out alive.  I mean, I want the anti-IEL option.  Don't...
That would be a nice, simple, story with a nice moral, but things are seldom so simple.   I'm sure that part of the problem with Vass was that there was not enough advance publicity.  However, one of the big problems was the... tada... the story wasn't consistent.  The shoes were selling for $1200+ here, and for $600 in Hungary.  100 years ago, this would not have been a problem.  I mean, honestly, 30 years, this would not have been a problem.  Having different market...
Lol. And what a beautiful story that is.I can tell you, for a fact, that Vass tried to position as a luxury brand, selling at $1200+, on it's first go around in the US market. That strategy did not work for them, (at least one of the reps is an OG member here, so he might have a clear idea why) and they came back at that more accessible proposing, with much more success.
Maybe they are a version of the Munchen, or Forest Hills? Argh, now I've confused myself.
I realized that I had those shoes - same color way, everthing, in the 80s.  They look like deadstock to me.  I remember those shoes because they were my first brand name sneakers. On sale, pretty much the only pair my mom would buy me.  I'm searching in vain for a catalogue from between 1986-1989.  They will be in there, I'm pretty sure, or a remake (which happens as well.)   They would be a tennis shoe, with the tennis sole.  That's all I can remember for now.
That's a pretty common perception, but I challenge you to look at it another way.  We are all telling a story.  The story is usually fundamentally about romance, and in order to be compelling, it must be self-consistent, and more than that, present a wholly self consistent world that is also consistent with the experience and observations of the listener.   For example, if you took a specific pair of cemented shoes, and told me that they were the most valuable shoes, on...
 You are missing the critical point, which is that you can market pretty much anything.  This is Tom Sawyer and whitewashing the fence level stuff.  Why do people even care about Goodyear welting (which is what brought us here in the first place?)  Effective marketing.  Even as late as a decade ago, pretty much no one not in the trade or not somehow related to the industry could tell you what is a Goodyear welt (something to do with tires, right?)  You don't even have to...
I'll be a historical meta-pessimist here, and say that this is because all things that rise, always fall.  No one and nothing can be great forever.  Empires fall.  Kings fall. Nations come and go.  Companies outlive their usefulness, can't adapt in a changing world (and the world is constantly changing), make a critical strategy error at a critical time.  Who knows?  There are any number of reasons that companies fail, that are not apparent until afterwards, and often, not...