or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

I only make new forums when there's a critical mass of active threads to make it necessary or desirable. I just don't see "bespoke" having that membership or audience. Additionally, I see bespoke, unlike streetwear, to be distinct from CM.Also, and tbh, I am skeptical they we have a big and FRIENDLY enough group of bespoke posters to lead such a subforum. Tell me if I'm wrong.Litmus test: Are there 2-3 bespoke posters who would consistently help out hapless boots...
You still can't beat forums for information, when it comes to fashion.  It's just that fashion is amenable to highly visual media.  People who are hobbyists still flock to forums.  However, for people who are drawn primarily to the lifestyle accompanying fashion, tumblr and instagram are very attractive.   Me, I'm fundamentally a nerd.  I like clothes.  And aside from doing the forum, I consult with various companies, which allows me to approach clothing from a variety of...
Not gonna lie, Mr Porter's Tuesday emails are one of the very few retail emails I regularly read.  And one of my favorite purchases each season tends to be from them. This season, a pair of Guidi chukkas.  Last season, a Blue Blue sashiko coat.  It's a big enough store that there is always something interesting to see, and the presentation of "new releases" is both big enough to capture my attention but not so big as to overwhelm me in a single sitting.  
The first is still reactive and dominated by the original post. The second is too chaotic and it does not lend itself to focused discussion. Like all things in tech, both platforms do a highly imperfect job of approximating discussions. As do forums. I mean, a 50k post discussion means that we've been at the same bar for years, in the same chairs.One reason brand appreciation and chat room like threads are popular is that you don't need to read for 5 days just to get...
Not gonna lie, this is disturbing...
We are going to be doing podcasts and having more features like buying guides, which lend themselves to short sessions and easy engagement and entry gateways. Tagging is already part of the forum, though ridiculously invisible. Scroll down on the right hand side, and you can both clock to a tag or tag the thread.And from what I understand, a native app is on the way.
I think that I agree with your observations, but not your conclusions. The discussions now are mostly had by, to carry on in the language you used, the "new bourgeoisie", which is developing it's own tastes, conventions, etc... informed by imperfect knowledge of what came before.  This is nothing new in history during non-revolutionary times. RE. forums, I can see them becoming niches, as they once were, but much more discoverable, because of technology, and looked upon as...
I get that, but I think that of all of those, RRL does the best job (not always, but often).  It looks like they use a leather with an additional coat (like Horween's crazy mustang, or whatever it's called), and then strip away some of that coat, so you get distressing that closely approximates what you'd get over a couple of years, anyway.
Most likely done by hand.  Doing that on a machine could be a PITA, and possibly more expensive, given the amount of machining that would need to be done, and the relatively low cost of labor.