or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

You have to make a distinction.  The material that we call "sashiko" is the material that was used in Edo era Firemen's uniforms and these days in Brazilian Jiujitsu gis.  Super durable.  The "heavy sashiko" is serious business.  It's a very thick reinforcement thread on a modern canvas (which is much more dense than a traditional homespun), and it is designed to withstand years of strong, powerful men throwing each other around and trying to choke the other dude or break...
Same.  I dress in the lots of colors: Blue, Black, and grey.  Sometimes taupe.
And they are not just very versatile, but they really take travel well too.  I've had mine since either before, or right after, No Man opened (I got it from another store, since No Man did not carry it at the time), and it looks nearly new, even though it's been put through the ringer (ask Kyle - he knows how tough I am on things).  It's one of the rare instances in which form and function actually meet.
The classic models are nice.  Really nice.  And if you are looking for something that is going to look good on you, and you are not looking to make a statement, those are great models.   But definitely, the unisex models are more badass.  Of course, they are also hard to pull off.   You have to have a stronger self-image to do it.  Those garments can work for any number of styles, but they really require that you have a very coherent personal style to make them your own....
That is the Raincho.  I cannot stress how badass the shape of that garment is.  You have to own it though.  It is not a timid garment.  It's like Marlon Brando's Perfecto or James Dean's red Harrington or Steve McQueen's bomber.  Either you own it and pull it off, or you look like a leather daddy, a recreational golfer in Palm Springs, or an off duty cop, respectively. Nice.  And excellent color choice.  The color, irl, looks a lot like...
I will pull the trigger on either a Raincho or the Rive Gauche, maybe the latter so that I don't match my wife too much.  Delayed a month because 1) Spent too much on good food in Paris, 2) Spent too much on my wife for Valentine's Day, including one of the said Rainchos, and 3) the dishwasher gave up its ghost, at long last.  But maybe I'll get it for spring rainy season in NYC, when we predict our next installment of The Proper Kit Trunk Show. #fiscalresponsibiltysucks...
No.  They do have a version of the Rive Gauche on deep discount.  I might end up picking that up, but the Rain-cho is perhaps a bit more eyecatching.  
@metranger8694 - moved your 2 posts to the Norwegian Rain thread in SWD, if you are wondering where your stuff went.  Excellent discussions, but let's keep this thread about NoMan.   Cheers,   Fok.
Partially agree, which is why I wrote this:That said, Saint Laurent Paris is not some small designer brand like a Stephan Schneider or a Norewegian Rain or SNS Herning or whatever that is possibly making the designer and their staff a decent, if not extravagant, living, It's a brand owned by Kering, and I would bet my bottom dollar that Kering is trying to maximize on their investment as much as possible.They charge that price in part because that price is sustainable for...
My Masterpiece Potential tote/shoulder bag is my go to bag for all travel.  It's incredibly durable (if you are actually traveling, and not always in a first class cabin with like, a porter, ballistic nylon is key), comfortable to wear, looks cool, and all the little pockets are well thought out and functional.  The MasterPiece Potential line is pretty awesome.