or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

Most likely done by hand.  Doing that on a machine could be a PITA, and possibly more expensive, given the amount of machining that would need to be done, and the relatively low cost of labor.
I would agree with this, but it's fighting time.  The fact is that people learn more and more on the internet.  That's simply not going away.  They learn from pictures on tumblr, or from conversations on Styleforum, or from a blog, which may or may not be particularly well written or well informed.  At least on Styleforum and on a blog, there are words to accompany the pictures. Internet sales are up and up, and bespoke is... not so much.  The barrier is high and the very...
Well, you can still talk have a discussion about it, but since it is no longer a flat discussion, yes, it's hard to get people talking.  The listings are easier to browse though, and what people expect, as a minimum, in 2015.  However, it's clearly not adequate for a variety of reasons.   What I have up you may not like either, but it's more modern - a more visual way for people to browse B&S, make it more discoverable.  That will hopefully attract more browsers, more...
Like I said, the "kopping" discussion is what people are interested in, so that's what they talk about.  Styleforum was never exclusively about bespoke.  Bespoke was a fun sideline, but it will always only have a very limited audience, for obvious reasons.  RE. th Caustic Man thread, I was referencing his thread in SWD. As for "the golden years".  I dunno.  I've been hearing that since 2006, when we were featured in the NYT.  Vox was seen as a newcomer with pretentions to...
Yes and no.  As you can tell by the Sufu format, that style just doesn't work anymore.   Our system was cobbled together in a way that works better than that old, thread based format, but it lacks in filters and browsibility. I have something in the works that will allow you to browse B&S in a much easier way.  Things are not yet set in stone, and it may be a few months out, but something is coming.  Not going to say more until it's a done deal.
I should add that I used to start more of these discussions, and that it went from hundreds of responses and thousands of views, to... many fewer, over the years.  The people spoke.  There is still a membership that wants to see this (see @Caustic Man's thread), but the interest is just not there for dozens and dozens of conversations that are not product related.
That's according to you, of course.  The members make the conversations, and as the internet has moved to become a commercial space, online discussion has become more about product than about the minutiae of the early hobbyist forums.  A forum is not even like a traditional media outlet, where the editors decide the content.  I would say that if you want to start a thread on some esoteric subject, that you should do so, and see if their is a demand for that (as in, a...
But are you surprised?  Those are international brands who employ the best designers, sample makers, and have access to the best factories, leathers, and trims. in the world.  And it's not like ToJ is a company like Aero, Eastman, or whatever, which, while not huge companies, have decades of experience in leather. The designs are nice though, that is true, for sure.
I dunno what happened to jet.  @in stitches is still around, and is actually a mod I keep in touch with.  If he want to explain why he is posting less, I'll let him explain.  But as usual, I want to emphasize that most people who cease to post or post less usually do so for reasons that have nothing to do with their feelings about the forum itself. A handful of both CM and SWD users who used to be very prolific, I still keep in touch with, and nearly all the time, it's...
This is a problem with all communities. We have things like new member questions threads, but unlike in 2008, it is now a smaller part of bigger issues.