or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

I agree with you. on pretty much every point. I think that the luxury market is a stupid place for him to enter.  But that $700-$800 pricepoint is where a lot of upper middle class European brands and the better (but not luxury) English brands are at.  That is also the pricepoint for the entry level of high end footwear in the US.  So it makes sense for him to pitch his prices there.  He brings himself inline with the same type of brand in the rest of Europe, and does not...
I agree, but Vass is doing both.  Let's look at a company that has fairly successfully transitioned into the fashion market by offering a pretty distinctive product - Viberg.  Their fashion offerings are priced on their own site such that it doesn't undercut their retailers, and at the same time, they get a (slightly) better margin, and have more diversified revenues, since they have a separate workboot line, which offers a distinctly different product.  So, they have...
Really, he just needs to normalize his prices.  Like you said, the older mitteleuropean guy is not going to squawk at a price increase, which is warranted given the market he wants to reach, and the no one on a forum is squacking about price gouging or whatever anymore.  Essentially, you cannot do a B2C business at one price, and a wholesale, at another, in a global economy.  What old man Lazlo is showing is risk adverse behavior that is actually detrimental to his...
I know that backstory behind this, from all sides, and it's always interesting hear what people thing of this from the outside.  Let's just say that it's not what it might seem like, and that there are definitely issues with Vass's strategic vision.  This happens a lot when a small brand, run by a guy who was brought up in an older system, tries to expand.
Yeah, that is a bummer.  Sorry man :(
I've thought about it, but not really.  A few thing.  First , I think that if you define yourself as one thing, you tend to become constrained by the conventions of that field.  It's one of the reasons that chose to stay in Moscow, ID, instead of moving to the Bay Area.  So, if I were to do venture capital, I'd be commuting all the time from here.  And it just doesn't seem worth the price to my family life (I have 4 kids, 3 of whom are in elementary school and pre-school.)...
His infrastructue is shit.  It sorta makes sense when he was essentially making one offs for friends and a few other people, but not for any type of volume.  Jobbers are not a good source of leather.  You need to make a connection with established mills/tanneries/trims supplies.  Epaulet, for example, is a good customer for these because he buys up end of rolls, and thus can make interestings things at a cheap price.  Leather though?  You gotta just pay.  There is no way...
I have always spoken my mind.  I've also posted elsewhere the ime, ToJ jackets are not of quite the same caliber of some other, more established makers, and also that both the wait time, and some customers' tolerance for it, is imo, insane. My posts are not excuses for ToJ.  I'm not in the business of making excuses for myself, much less other people.  If you doubt my integrity, then maybe you should know that I've been running this business in the past year pretty...
Email Guy, or pm him.
No one ever said that that was an excuse. I think that it is the right starting point for a viable solution. Of course, I would need full disclosure to see if a solution is even possible, much less help to implement one.Also, don't conflate completely different issues.