or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

1) It can be avoided by going through someone like me, who has worked as a regular stockist, done plenty of MTO or GMTO projects, and knows how to properly manage expectations.  The factory would just refer all inquiries back through me, and I would vet requests before passing them over.  But no retailer is going to do this for free.  Maybe for a lower margin, since risk is mitigated, but also with the understanding that managing the process is fairly resource...
A lot of them don't have technical skills, but that's neither here nor there.  Even if they were sewing and cutting geniuses, and did all the samples themselves, at some point, the designs have to be sent to factories for production.  I don't see what is the issue here.  This is scarcely a new model, and definitely not the reason that the luxury market price ceiling has been steadily increasing in just the last decade and a half.
That jacket nearly always looks cool.  It's one of the easiest designer leathers to wear.
This is the reason that companies like Viberg refuse to do MTO with the end consumer as well, and why companies like Edward Green have streamlined their process to only have so many options, generally with no exceptions.  People are pretty unreasonable, and because they are paying an upcharge, feel entitled to ask a ton of questions and make numerous requests, and are often unsatisfied with direct answers. A simple answer of "That's not something we do?" is often met with...
Essentially giving lie to the unfortunate adage that it doesn't hurt to ask.
Those companies are simply not adequately organized to deal with any amount of volume.  In order to do so, they would need modern fulfillment technology, and probably a dedicated person, not to mention a possible/probable reorganization of their factory floors.  That is $$$, and you can bet your bottom dollar that they would have to kick that cost down onto the consumer, or conversely. "outsource" the work to a retailer, who would invariably also take a cut. My number one...
I think that the luxury model in which Hedi Slimane operates is a different beast/. At the top end of the market, the veblen goods effect is very much more evident, and brand name is worth much more than in the sub-designer category.  Name recognition is a greater value than is cultural exclusivity. I'm not sure that the dynamics of fashion don't make a totally rational market, though that could be true as well.  I do think that certainly, we have not figured out all the...
So you guys are acting as designers and stylists for yourselves, which is cool.  I do the same thing a fair bit, but it does require more thought, more knowledge, and more time.  And it's probably not fair to take ourselves as representative of anything other than clothing nerds and/or fashion people ourselves.
I don't.  But I would like more options that are more, ahem, versatile, and that are simply more comfortable for 8-12 hour flights, but that won't make me look completely stupid upon landing. Yeah, I can see how the pics of the Wings+Horns pants look like that from those photos, but having handled them in person, I was a lot more impressed.  The construction and materials are pretty bombproof and the material itself is an interesting broken twill that reminds me of the...
De Bonne Facture does this as well, and I have a canoe bag from an early Engineered Garments collection that is exactly the same canoe bag that is made by some factory in Massachusetts.  Junya's double rider is simply a rebranded Vanson Derby, sometimes even in a stock leather carried by Vanson.  I think that in this discussion, you guys have undervalued one critical role of designers, which is to bring your attention, or perhaps change your perception, of a traditional...