or Connect

Posts by LA Guy

"We'll look great losing.  We guarantee it?"
Incidentally, that markdown post was a really useful post for a lot of readers, I feel.  Your model works when a retailer's goods are of an exceptionally good taste level.  I used to shop at Alan Bilzerian, when I lived in Boston.  He had 2 seasonal sales, and markdowns depended on how long the goods had been on the shelf.  Which meant that if you knew your stuff, you could make out like a bandit, which, as a poor postdoc, I really appreciated.  You had about 2 weeks, and...
Hi Brian,   I was wondering what Visvim you are going to have for the upcoming FW season.  I'm mostly interested in the footwear.   Cheers,   Fok.
A 13 year old girl can embarrass me on the court.  My basketball skills consist mainly of criticizing players for not making their free throws.  I can't either, but to be fair, I'm also not getting millions of dollars to do it.   That said... I would sponsor a Styleforum basketball team.  It would be cool to own a basketball team, and that is likely to be as close as I'd get to ever doing so.  
Lol.  My bad.  You Cary Grant types all look the same.
 It can be done.  A lot of high end leather goods are completely handstitched.  And honestly, some not so expensive ones as well.  I think that the real issue is that there is no point in doing some things without the aid of machines.
Thanks, Clags.  Bruce Boyer is by far my favorite menswear writer, and it's mostly because of this.  In many of this books, he offers no prescription, just an honest appreciation of the subject.  The book that is closest to my heart is Rebel Style.   It's so easy to hate things. Criticizing everyone and everything doesn't make you incisive and intelligent.  It mostly just makes you a bore.   In this thread, and on Styleforum in general, there is a wonderful pluralism of...
Is this also the case for several dyed leathers? Most of the really expensive leather swatches I've seen are surface dyed, but the vegetal leathers seem to be vat dyed. I know how small batches are done, but not how an industrial process works.
I've done this more than once.  I like San Diego, but compared to LA, it seems to be a wasteland for eating and shopping, fish tacos and a handful of restaurants in La Jolla excepted.  Not sure why.  Maybe the proximity to LA, and the difference in consumtion patterns makes it unprofitable for high end retail, but don't people like to eat?  It's been a while since I've been, though.  Maybe it's changed in the past few years.
It works, but you have to be more careful. A whole lot more surface area plus nooks and crannies means a more difficult job to apply evenly. I've applied leather oil. A full jacket is a couple of hours and a nearly a whole bottle of oil.