or Connect

Posts by Angeland

A curious thread in many respects.   The distinction between corrected and full grain leather is a distinction between two different kinds of thing and not two of the same thing. The question must be how good the leather is, whether it is corrected or full grain.   Then there is the question of construction, which--minus a circular saw and the ability to know what one is actually looking at--is revealed to most of us through time only. The Ludlow has only been out...
I recently experimented (at considerable cost, but I will pass the savings along to you) with "ways of fitting" into Allen Edmonds and Alden favorites.   Here is what I determined.   On the Allen-Edmonds last formerly known as "5" and now "65" I sized down ONE WHOLE SIZE from my normal device measurement and went all the way to EEE. It worked quite well. So if you come up a 10 D and you try on a 10 D in this odd last and find yourself fitting the shoe well enough but...
With regard to Loake 1880 versus Allen Edmonds calfskin shoes, I like Allen Edmonds shoes very much, but I have found that they can be difficult to polish. Black "custom calft" is good enough, but the walnut grain is a real challenge. Like Cheaney, they develop these sharp crease lines. Both pairs of Loake 1880s, by contrast, polish brilliantly and crease with nice, smooth ripples.
Just weighing in on this Loake versus Crockett and Jones (and Tricker's) discussion.   I have two pairs of Loakes in the 1880 range, and I also have as many C&Js and more Tricker's than I care to number (or that actually fit me--strange fitting shoes).   I think Loakes are a great value shoe, and if they made more I like I would buy more. They are not as well made as either of the other two, however.   One thing I would point out is that Loakes soles will...
I hate this thread because the originator failed to nab a pair of those stubby Stows (in gold, unless I am wrong?) in size 12 and ship them to me!   Please, sir, for what retailer are those being made? Did you learn?
Great thread.   May I recommend that contributors to it state at the outset their Brannock Device measurement? In a similar thread on a similar forum, the discussion was somewhat sidetracked by people with wide feet weighing in, which invariably leads to Allen-Edmonds as the answer to all questions (i.e., because they are so good about making shoes available in just about any width). The problem is not the availability of widths but the width of the HEEL relative to...
Better late than never to reply. If you bought the Kemptons, good. I own a pair in black and I like them.   I would say that I am exceptionally impressed with the quality and finish of the calf leather. It is superior to similarly priced black calf shoes I own by Cheaney and Allen Edmonds, although inferior to Tricker's, Church's, or Alden's black calf.   I own two pairs of shoes from the 1880 line and have the same opinion of the leather quality in both cases....
It sounds like you prefer very casual clothing and are struggling, perhaps, to achieve the same comfort level in more formal or professional dress? I don't think that has to be a problem, but it may mean you have to select your more formal clothing more deliberately.   The differences in the sizes you like to wear and the sizes at which you are measured are stark--too stark for normal discrepancies.   I can comment best with regard to the shoes. If I may, is the...
  Another poster on this board put it more bluntly, and while I don't like to start or swell trouble in an electronic conversation (don't we have enough trouble in our real lives?) I do agree that the very serious complaints you make against Robinson's are challenged by the request you have put to the manager of the shop in public. If you buy shoes from the UK you must accept the return costs, even if the product is defective. If it were not so, English merchants would...
This would be a "great" thread if only we had solutions for each other, except as commiseration is a kind of solution.   There is another thread similar to this one floating around, and I read every single post because I have this problem, too. I will say that that thread was somewhat diverted by contributors interested simply in narrow of wide shoes. Those we understand and they are not the problem or the solution. What we want is a shoe that has a more substantial...