or Connect

Posts by Ivon

Most places send the clothes out for alterations, you might end up there anyway. Where I live there is a well regarded alteration guy named Antonio, I understand he does the work for a lot of high end places, including Gucci. Unless you need major work done, store alterations are usually fine, hemming pants, setting sleeve lengths, minor neck adjustments, etc. Can't think of many places that won't charge extra for major work like slimming the pants or shortening a...
Ouch. Didn't mince your words MoL. I agree with you on length, the classic Burberry trench has been around for a century and really hasn't changed much in all that time. I do see short trenches on about every other young woman in the financial district these days, MoL speaks the truth. Get a classic one and it will probably last you decades. I recently got one for a song on the B/S, I'm kinda thinking it nay outlast me.
I still see quite a few DB suits, but they are usually worn by the big kahunas who bought them back in the day, late 80s, glen plaid or bold stripes, ventless and worn with kilties or tasseled loafers. These are the LA Law suits that everyone here mocks. These guys are old and pretty conservative in that they won't change. They sign the cheques so they can where whatever they want while I can safely mock the juniors in their shrunken suits and cheap brogues. By the...
The length looks fine to me for a professional garment, if it doesn't cover your butt, don't wear it to the office. Last week I was at a dog and pony and a junior on the presentation team committed so many sartorial crimes at once, I was too busy snickering quietly to notice what they were pitching. Turned out another associate was doing the same thing and he isn't that big into clothes. Brown tweedish suit (I still follow Charles Revlon on brown suits at the office),...
French Cuffs are never going to disappear, they just aren't as trendy as they used to be, I haven't worn them since the "Greed is good" days, no braces or yellow paisley power tie either. I stopped buying them because the were a pita and I kept misplacing cuff links to the point of buying a dozen pair of the same colored silk knot cheapies to keep me going. Nothing makes a statement these days like a cheap, overly tight Banana Republic suit and an old school big collared...
You should have seen what I wore on my entry level salary back in the day. Whenever I pass that H&M, I often think, what if I started shopping there, nobody would really notice and I'd save a fortune. Only SAs and the odd lady will noticed and comment on your suits and shoes. I play a cat and mouse game with some SAs, I always cry poverty when I buy a suit, the always drag me over to Brioni/Kiton land, hoping to upgrade me from Zegna, but they are always in Samuelson. ...
Longevity would depend on how you wear them and your shoe care regimen. Any of those brands can be resoled at any half decent cobbler, you need to check availability and prices if you want factory redrafting. From that list Loake and AE would be at the bottom and C&J Benchgrades and Barker at the top, but their really isn't a huge gap. I have Lobb Buckinghams on right now, they are gorgeous, but from a practical standpoint, I don't see them having any more durability...
I pass by a H&M all the time, the prices are so low they are almost free. It's a mall brand like all the others, Zara, Club Monaco, Banana Republic, they are ALL crappy quality by conventional SF metrics. If you have no cash, you still need to shop somewhere. They are wearable and with some imagination and wit, you could probably look okay, just don't expect to have it last more than a season or two. It's too easy to dress very well with unlimited funds. Let he who is...
$5? They look in decent shape and if the fit, they are a deal. $5 is a fancy coffee at Starbucks, you can barely get beater socks for that. Back in the 80s, I saw Nettleton croc shoes for $3500, can't imagine what that would work out to in today's dollars.
What's your budget? Off the top of my head, G&G Connaught, Bespoke England has them in Dark Brown on the TG73 last.