or Connect

Posts by Ivon

Code: I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago and I picked up a cheap beater watch from Shanghai Tang in HK, smallish vintage style with day/date, black face and Chinese characters on the face. Was only a couple of hundred dollars and I really like it. Think vintage Longines meets Asian kitsch, I have ties that cost more.
Guilin is kinda like Niagara Falls, but it's a tourist hotspur and the locals will try to fleece Chinese and roundeyes all the same, they don't discriminate. Scenic, but Yongshou was special to me, think Chinese alpine village meets Las Vegas. Scenery is jawdropping, pedestrian mall is very cool. But there seems to be a segregation of tourist, Chinese have their places and the expat theirs. Relentless hustle on tourists, but I highly recommend the place. The middle...
No doubt the recipes and ingredients are authentic, but the quality of ingredients and execution were piss poor. My friend even got us onto a Chinese package tour for domestic Chinese tourists to Guilin and Yongshou, hotels were decent, but the food was awful, the rest of the group was complaining as well. Best meal so far was in Guangzhou in a cafeteria place for office workers for $10 RMB, we chose to skip the overpriced stuff with XO sauce to eat like regular people. ...
I am on vacation and haven't given clothing any thought for a while. I AM in China right NOW, in a suburb of Shenzhen right now, near the airport because I just got back from Guilin late last night. I agree with MoL on a lot of his points, but from what I've seen and heard today from my Mandarin speaking friend, it's not as bad as the jingoistic wingnuts would have you believe. Working conditions are not up to modern NA standards, they are probably where NA factories...
  Here is a picture of the label from my Border, bought a little over a year ago from Stollery's, a long time Barbour dealer.
I bought a Barbour Border fall 2011 from Stollery's because the border is slightly longer to wear over a SC. On mine, tt says "Made in England" on the bottom right of the main label (the black one) on the inside, just below the collar.
It's doable in that price range, but are you sure you can justify the purchase over the long term? Even an OTR cheapie from Hugo Boss is 1k, depending on fabric choice, it should be ballpark what a MTM suit costs.. You can always find tuxedos at the Rosen or HR clearance centers, midnight blue might be tricky. How often will you wear it over the next few years? Unless you have a lot of weddings or charity events to go to, the money may be better spent elsewhere. A few...
With Spiro, there should be a measurement and a second basted fitting. The pictures should show him what it should look like and the fitting should show him how it should fit. Try popping into Brooks Brothers, their coats are fairly classic, more than Rosen these days.
I just had a couple of pair of dress pants made at SH Spiro, he should be in the 1k-1.5k range for an overcoat, he had one hanging around the shop when I picked up my pants. He does very good work for the prices he charges. YMMV in that he's fairly old school and you need to communicate what you want clearly. The overcoat in the store looked fairly decent with a quick glance. Just bring pictures and be specific about fit. Good luck in your quest.
Other than the tote, aka manpurse, I don't see the relevance of this thread, these are standard item most men should already have. In fact, reading that list, I'm back in 1987. I believe real tortoise accessories have been illegal since the 80s. Back in the day, the "modern" silhouette was baggy Donegal, think Perry Ellis, when he was alive and started to make his name. The tortoise shell frames preppy glasses were Vuarnet or something like that and the signature...