or Connect

Posts by cincydavid

Shoot, it was wet AT WORK today and this is what happened to a relatively nice pair of Johnston and Murphy SkiMocs...             Never mind the commute, I have to look presentable at work, even in crap weather.  I have never, ever had a commute that involved public transportation, so not only do I just hop in my car and go, I don't see other commuters, except from the shoulders up, as they drive next to me.  I do know that guys in their 20s dress a hell of a...
My father is in his 70s, and when I recently mentioned to him that I took some shoes to the cobbler, he looked at me like I had grown a second head...he was astounded that I didn't just buy cheap stuff and toss the shoes when they got worn. He was amazed that a cobbler was still in business, and wanted to know where he was located.     As a guy who lived through the depression, and tends to be thrifty to a fault, it seemed a bit strange that he has the "throw-away"...
I think people associate FJ with golf shoes, and there is very little interest in their dress shoes.  I applaud the company for finding a niche that allowed them to stay in business, but it does make me a little sad that all of these good, solid shoemakers have fallen by the wayside.  
Well, the execution was a smidge crude, but the concept is sound.  I have never seen soles like that around here available for retail sale, just the little plastic/nylon toe and heel taps.  
Sorry about that cptjeff...the flip side to that is that my 12D's are pretty much non-existent in vintage shoes...smaller sizes are all over the place.  
I own 2 pairs...beautiful 80s era dress saddles, solid black, with leather soles and heels with the original "FJ" inscribed heel lift.  They are at least comparable in quality to J&M Aristocrafts.  My others are a pair of tacky black and brown 2 tone kiltie/braided bow loafers, with a leather sole that has a ribbed rubber insert under the ball of the foot.  Again, nice leather, nice construction, just ugly and dated.  The issue I have with both is the last...it fits...
This evening, I discovered the key to a company minivan that I drove briefly today...which means I have to go to the office tomorrow bright and early, and I hadn't planned on going to work at all tomorrow.
I have Park Avenues in merlot, 12D...the stubby toe cap does two things...looks weird compared to my old Sanfords, and makes the shoe flex in a different spot.  
I have Park Avenues in merlot, 12D...the stubby toe cap does two things...looks weird compared to my old Sanfords, and makes the shoe flex in a different spot.  
My latest find...a pair of nearly-new Brooks Brothers plain toe bluchers in shell cordovan, $20 at the Goodwill store in beautiful Batesville Indiana.  They had big thick athletic-style insole inserts in them, which tells me the original owner got the size wrong and couldn't get them to work for him.  Frankly, the heels slip on me too, but for $20 I'll try breaking them in and resort to a tongue pad or something if I can't get them to cooperate.