or Connect

Posts by cincydavid

I'm in a sales/insurance related job where it REALLY helps to look like you have some miles on you...the more gray I have in my hair, the better my sales.  People in their 50s and beyond have grandkids your age, and those kids are as likely as not, dipshits, so anything you can do to look/act older and wiser will be good for you. For that matter, are you in an area where you'll be driving to their homes for appointments?  Better drive a grown-up car too...trust me, they...
10.5D when I was 21 and bought my first AE's.   I'm 45 now, and some 12D's are too short in length..I'm 20 Lbs heavier too.  
What about discontinued models that you had/wish they would put back into production?  My first AE shoe, in the late 80s, was called Arlington...wingtip slip-on with tassels and a huge kilt...wore those things just about to pieces in my first sales job right out of college.  I would love to find a NOS pair in black calf.  One other shoe I had in the 80s, and recently found at Goodwill, barely worn, was the Bridgeton, u-toe slip on with a medallion, tassels on a strap and...
All joking aside, I have a mint green shirt that I splashed bleach on, so it's either ruined or gonna get bleached to white...I figure I have nothing to lose at this point.   Wanna turn white items blue?  Go overboard with the liquid bluing in your rinse water...I use Mrs. Stewart's to keep white items really bright, but I over-did it once, and all of my undershirts were sky blue for a couple of washings.  
I made a small haul yesterday at a small thrift that is spotty at best: To Boot New York brown suede bucks with lug sole, brand spanking new $4(it was 50% off day), Cole Haan Italian made bit loafers, brown, $3, need heels and a good polish.  Bought my better half a 3/4 length fox fur coat too...$12.
No such luck, some companies in the funeral and cemetery trade can be extremely conservative.  I wore merlot-colored shoes once and was told to come back when I had proper black lace-ups on...
I own a grand total of one suit with plain front trousers...all of my wool odd trousers, khakis, chinos are pleated.  I'm 6ft, 235, with a 40 inch waist.  Plain front pants are too tight, to paraphrase Lyndon Baynes Johnson, it's like riding a razor wire fence.  I want roomy britches that look OK when I'm standing, and aren't tight when I sit down.  I also can't stand low-rise trousers...I wear mine right at my navel, as a rule.   I also have cuffs/turnups on nearly...
Always, with my better shoes...I have a polished steel one with an 8 inch wood handle and a cotton lanyard attached to that...it sits on the little end table next to the chair where I sit to put on my shoes.  Now, having said all that, I do have beater loafers and Sperry boatshoes that I wear to walk the dog, and I just slide those on without the help of the shoehorn.   On a side note, the ONLY shoes I don't un-tie before I remove them are the crappy old Asics...
I suspect I have close to 20...at my last job we HAD to wear a solid white point collar shirt, with a white undershirt underneath, so I have oodles of them.  Some are just about kaput, and should probably get pitched.  The company bought us 2 cheap Van Heusen broadcloth 60/40 blend shirts a couple of times a year, so some of them were nasty even when they were new.  Now I can get away with pale blue or a muted stripe, so I studiously avoid wearing white.
I have never purchased anything to flip...more trouble than it's worth to pack and ship, even if I had made money on the transaction.  I don't do paypal or ebay, just not my thing.