or Connect

Posts by OlSarge

Most satisfactory!
Certainly that is the tradition but as far as I'm concerned it should be treated purely as a guideline rather than a rule.  It would all depend on one's location and business.  In the suburbs of the northern tier, where one's office is in a business park rather than downtown, I would call it smart and practical.  And, as you suggest, as a suit for the weekend or vacations at one's 'country place' such a suit would be really quite a good idea.  Down here in the heat, sadly,...
I'm a bit of a purist.  Rhubarb should never be adulterated!
Understood completely.  Mine is the opposite problem.  Though six feet is far from gigantic my arms are disproportionately long and sleeves must almost always be lengthened.  Again, compliments on the magnificent find.
My favorite possible sports jacket!  Indeed, we are fortunate that so many 'bay trawlers are blind to such treasures.  By your comment that it is too long I presume you are relatively young?  If it covers your backside I would be loathe to touch the length.  Of course, it was built for a man over six feet tall and you are more medium sized then shortening it to fit rather than to fashion is only sensible.  Great find, FM, and a great price!
 shad belly?
  Something old, something new.  The jacket is 'previously owned' but the vest and trousers are from Peter Christian.  The shotgun is a 1909 W. W. Jeffrey.
This is true.  Actually, that's one of the reasons tweed appeals to some people, the tradition and classic cut.  However, you can always take a jacket to a good alterations tailor and have it taken in if you want a really slim cut.  But since tweed=countryside, not hip urbanity, you could just enjoy them the way they come.
If you're going in blind then the above advice is about all that anyone can say.  Your only alternative is reputation, especially from folks you personally trust.  If there isn't anyone around who has tried the tailor you're thinking of trying you absolutely are punting the first garment.  Call it money spent on education.
If the coat already has them I'm not about to try and remove any but I'm more of the 'put them on when the elbow show wear', myself.  It's not a big issue.  Order 'em if you like 'em.