or Connect

Posts by Mr Knightly

9093.4 + 1275.1 = 10368.5   (Or is it too late to join?)
Kent,   Have you ever considered a tan or camel polo? I've recently been wearing tan sweaters and sportcoats with white jeans during transitional months, and I'd love to be able to wear the same combination in the summer.
I'm very impressed with my suit. The construction is much better than I expected, and the fabrics are (obviously) excellent. The standard cut was a bit aggressive for my taste, with a fairly short rise and jacket length. I requested minor adjustments for my MTM version, and it came out very well. There are a few things I will probably tweak for the next iteration, but it's already one of my favorite suits.   One of the things I really like about these suits is that,...
Exactly. While I'm not thrilled about these outfits, I don't think Congress has any business criticizing. The United States is almost unique in that our Olympians do not receive government funding. If Congress wants to have a say in what our Olympians wear, it should amend the Amateur Sports Act of 1978 and pay up.  
Agreed. The 2008 flat caps looked smashing. They were sporty, classic, and definitely American. These berets are ridiculous. On the other hand, the rest of the outfit is quite nice, and I don't think the overall effect will be that odd, at least in the context of the long and absurd history of opening ceremonies outfits.
Matte looks better than glossy, in my opinion, but glossy with lots of patina (half the gloss worn off) looks best.
I suspect one reason the look is so common is that many men don't own odd jackets. One might need suits for work, and one might have invested in some quality pieces, but men are less likely to drop real coin on cocktail party clothing. They're, obviously missing out, but I won't go so far as to say that suits without ties are wrong. Suits without ties have a place. As noted earlier, summer suits in poplin and linen can look quite nice without a tie. I often remember...
Formal when used as a noun is not the same thing in practice as a real formal dress code. I wear black tie about 4-5x/year, but when I went to my last "formal" as a student, I wore a khaki suit, white shirt, and no tie. Maybe half the guys there were in business suits and ties, but lots of people were in blazers, and lots were not wearing ties.   Key to khaki suits: no tie (it's a bit casual after all) or a very dark, plain tie. Lots of people think you need to go...
+1. It would be a huge mistake not to wear a suit for interviews at these companies. (Maybe it's different if you're on the tech side; I don't know anything about that.) I just did a straw poll of my friends who either have worked or do work at these firms. All of them wore suits to their interviews.
That looks a bit lighter than midnight blue to me, though I suppose it's under directly sunlight, and one rarely sees dinner suits in daylight. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but query whether you want to draw extra attention to your lapels. Shawls are already a bit unusual these days. It's much more common to see black lapels on a midnight tux.   As an aside, I feel your pain regarding the price of a midnight tux. It's very disappointing that the...