or Connect

Posts by cropknox

In my experience, a MTM program by branded label with an established look / identity will always result in a product indicative of that look/identity. In other words, a MTM RLBL will always look like a Ralph Lauren suit, which isn't a bad thing per se.     Since you have something very specific in mind, and sound as though you're not really a novice, have you considered seeing a Hong Kong tailor who travels to the U.S.?  Due to the influence of English tailoring in...
  Yep. Making a properly fitting waistcoat ("vest") is actually quite a feat of tailoring, as is so often demonstrated by the ill fitting vests seen these days . . .
  No. Very nouveau riche. Not at all in line with established sartorial convention.
  That suit isn't flannel. It's a tweed of some sort.
I've had seven suits made by the Hemrajani Bros. / Mytailor and have always been pleased.  Joe is extremely particular about getting a good set of measurements and a good fit for the customer.   The only trouble I ever had was when I switched from a standard belt loop waistband to one with side tabs.  The rise was somewhat lower than I like.  The issues was solved by one email to Joe. He sent me a shipping label, I mailed the trousers back to him, and in two weeks a...
has anyone ordered CMT garments from Spoon Tailor?  I had a suit made with a suiting selected from one of their books, but I'd be interested to hear about someone's experience supplying their own fabric. 
  Similar union labels were used from 1949, however that specific label is from the mid 1970s.     This tag is the copyright 1936 union tag.  It was is use from 1936 -1938 (officially), however, it was used contemporaneously with its replacement for a year or so.      This is the copyright 1939 union tag.  Note the litte "80" below the second "A" in "America" which differentiates it fromt the 36 tag:     This is the copyright 1949 union tag. It was used from 1949...
  There is a pretty lengthy discussion about pricing earlier in this thread (here).  To summarize, the staring price for suits is $800 and a full canvas jacket costs an extra $50.  I paid ~$1,100 for a two-piece suit made of 11oz. super 130 Loro Piano.  
I had a suit made by Spoon and was quite satisfied.  I going back soon to have a sport coat and some trousers made soon.     From the "how does this Indochino suit fit" posts I've seen here, you you're certainly going to get a better fitting suit from Spoon.  Quality wise, I cannot speak to Indochino, but Spoon suits are very well made.  There is certainly much more hand work than one the vast majority of RTW labels.  Spoon also stocks an extremely wide variety of...
Unless you're talking about a tuxedo (e.g., dinner suit / evening suit / semi-formal suit, to use technically correct sartorial terminology) the combination of peaked lapels and black cloth should be avoided like the plague . . . unless you want to look like the help.     Traditionally, such suits were the "uniform" domestic staff; in modern times, black suits -- peak lapel or otherwise -- remain the dominion of the service industry.  Don't believe me? Here's a...