or Connect

Posts by Jeff10236

Manly stuff?  Both weren't today, but this weekend I rode my motorcycle and I went to the gun range. 
I love being a teacher, but there are a few things I would have liked to have done differently, or wish I considered:   1) Army.  I joined out of high school, had a bad ankle and was discharged early.  I still wish I could have had a career as a soldier.  Maybe, knowing what I do now, doing college ROTC where maybe they would have given me more time to do physical therapy or something to improve my ankle instead of booting me after basic.   2) Law Enforcement. ...
Cool that you are together now.  Just be careful, keep your guard up, and don't get too attached too quickly.  As for those worried about meeting the parents so soon, that can sometimes happen early on if you start as friends.  A red flag, sure, keep your eyes and ears open, but nothing to be too worried about.
So, on topic, my first full-time salary was under $10K.  I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was $600 something a month.  In 1989 E1's* in the Army were not exactly paid well. This was before college.   In the early 1990's I did sales on commission (a few industries) and was usually in the $25-30K range (not bad money in 1992 or 1993 when living at home and without a college degree or any real skills).   My first teaching job was $36K/yr...
  Umm, you do realize that one doesn't follow the other.  Nothing to look at, and over 35 are completely unrelated.  I know some God-awful ugly 20 somethings, and some damn hot 30 and 40 somethings.   As for the OP, yes you screwed up.  Even before seeing what you wrote later about your departure being handled professionally, you really need to follow the conventions of your industry.  In most, that means 2 weeks notice (and sometimes more).  As an educator, if I gave a ...
Catonsville Community College: Teacher Education (60cr, I didn't take my associates degree however) Towson University: Psychology (B.S. 2001) McDaniel College: Dual Concentration in Curriculum and Instruction and Educational Administration (I will finish my M.S. coursework in another year)   I took several education courses for my certification from some colleges that I didn't attend as a degree student (including JHU), and I took a couple computer courses in the...
I'm a high school teacher, but I also waited until I was 25 to go to college.  I've worked in a variety of jobs before teaching (both before and after college).  What I tell my students is that you don't have to go to college, but if you want a comfortable life you do need some education past high school.  You really need to learn a trade or skill. One on-the-job option is sales.  If you are good at it, sales is one of the few jobs where you can actually get rich...
Terrific post!
Quite a bit of (in some cases contradictory) info has already been given out.  Here is my experience (though it is old since I've been out of retail and sales for a decade now).   Discount rates vary from store to store.  Most of my experience was mainly with department stores where it is typically about 20% (we got the discount on sales and clearance items, and when there was a good sale, plus a coupon sale, and our discount, it could be a nice discount...
Like the above poster said, a lot of what you can do will depend upon your income.   That said, everyone should save 6-12 months worth of post-tax income as fast as they can.  This gives a little cushion should something happen and you need to find a job.  On top of that, you need something to dip into for emergencies that don't involve unemployment, though worst case, you can use the 6-12mo fund if you replenish it.  In addition, everyone should put aside at least...