or Connect

Posts by papertiger26

Will the 12oz wear too warm? I can't speak for others, but the majority of events that I attend are in temp controlled areas with masses of people. This can cause them to be a little on the warm side. I also want something I can wear in comfortably in all seasons.
I have never seen the Dugdale Formals book, but have a handful of suits made from other Dugdale books that are among my favorites. I just didn't know if it was worth the premium for a seldom worn tux and the weights tend to be heavier. In a very prompt response, mytailor said they do not have the Formal book, but do carry Dugdale lines and could order individual swatches for me to look at. Looking online I think 3 are possibilities: 8719 (10oz; 100% wool), 8738 (10oz;...
I am having a tux made and requested some samples from Joe et al at mytailor. I wear one only 2-3x a year, so I wanted to find something nice, but a good value as it is put to use far less often than my daily wear suits. With that criteria, he provided options from the VBC Parennial Classics (various supers), Holland and Sherry Sloane Square and Loro Piana Super 120s. I have not read great things about Loro Piana, so narrowed it down to one of the VBC options or the HS...
Anyone with experience buying from coolvintagewatches.com? The 1952 Hamilton Lyndon here would fill a hole in my watch collection at a seemingly affordable price. However, it has been very difficult to find if these watches are indeed serviced and up to the quality claimed, information on the seller and if the asking price is fair. Any opinions?   This is the description on the site:   1952. Original dial  has a light  patina. white dial with applied numerals. ...
I can definitively say there will be no gardening in this jacket. I tend to agree that most people won't notice the pocket choice, and I will likely go with whatever I am feeling at the time I request the commission. I appreciate all the help and the interesting discussion. I am actually surprised that two of the biggest contributors were from SoCal. Having been in that locale often enough, I am surprised tweed gets has so much utility in that climate.
Understood, and agreed. I think most people here take some amount of pride in the way they dress and have certain expectations to be met. Otherwise they would not be on here presumably. I also think that as long as something does not look affected, cartoonish or out of place, having a nicely cut jacket in a quality fabric will make the wearer better turned out than the vast majority of men despite possibly being more informal.
I tend to agree with JLibourel. I feel the number of restaurants (even very good ones) that require, let alone expect business dress/worsteds are in the vast minority. In fact, tweed might be more appropriate with many restaurants' obsession with "farm-to-table." I am client facing most days, but this would  be used sparingly/almost never with anything having to do with business. I am almost always in suit for work as I mentioned.   I am a bit surprised with the idea...
So are 3 patch pockets considered too louche? I knew it made an inherently casual jacket (which is my intention), but I didn't think having a patch breast pocket propelled a jacket to "pottering around the house" casual. That is an interesting viewpoint. I have a few odd jackets made up with patch hip pockets and a welted breast pocket, but figured tweed would be the fabric to go full hog casual if one were to do so.
Thanks. Your replies have been very helpful. I have emailed the tailor regarding the suitability of the fabric for trousers, but am planning on only making a jacket. I agree with the assessment that the blue herringbone is more versatile than the other selections, but I really like the grey. I think I am going to put the blue herringbone on the back burner. If I get inpatient, that may mean later this year, or perhaps next.   Now the next question, three patch...
One last attempt to get some advice. This is a better image of the cloth I was looking at:     Grey odd jacket a bad idea? Could I do it as a full suit and still wear the jacket (made with casual styling) with light grey flannels? Other options: