or Connect

Posts by joshuadowen

Honestly the actual roasting isn't that hard. It's pretty straightforward work. The challenge is in developing a sophisticated enough palate to know when something isn't as it should be, and to be able to identify what's off. Experienced coffee professionals (not me) can pretty easily tell the difference between a flaw in the coffee and a fault in the roast. It takes a lot of experience to know how to profile a roast to fix some of these faults.    If home roasting is...
 I don't want to cause a whole thing, but air roasters basically aren't good for anything but making coffee brown. They exist because they are cheaper and easier to operate/maintain, but it's impossible to produce good coffee with one. If your goal is to learn about roasting and to produce good coffee at home, get a drum sample roaster. 
Don't buy an air roaster. 
 I'm pretty sure these have hit the market now.
 Agreed. I turn the hotplate off as soon as the brew cycle is done. It's not that big a deal.
I have a Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker. I like it a lot. Definitely the best experience I've had with any automatic brewer. 
  Getting our first set installed today.
I knew from the start that this thing was never going to work, but the horribleness of the fallout is interesting: http://gizmodo.com/kickstarter-project-finds-exciting-new-way-to-screw-its-1663145598/+laceydonohue
 This is another one where the price is inflate by higher labor costs and clever marketing. There's really nothing special about Blue Mountain coffee. There are way better coffees out there for much less money. 
Kona is only more expensive because the cost of labor in Hawaii is higher than in other coffee growing regions (Africa/Central America). The price is not indicative of quality.