or Connect

Posts by joshuadowen

And here I was starting to worry that you didn't actually like coffee at all.
Elixir? Context please.
Moisture content is the big one. Darker roasts have less residual moisture, and grind really differently than lighter roasts. Also, off gassing as the coffee gets further off roast date can affect grind a fair amount.
 Sightglass out of SF is one of my favorites. I also like Heart out of Portland. 
My two cents...   It's like anything else: there's both an objective component AND a subjective component. Among professionals, there are agreed upon standards for measuring acidity, sweetness, and a few dozen other aspects of how we experience a cup of coffee. Most experienced professionals should be able to grade a particular coffee fairly similarly. Even then, all decent sized roasting operations have entire cupping teams, so that no one person is wholly responsible...
Nobody stocks Stumptown? Or Indonesian coffees?
Not me, but I'm also not surprised. They aren't exactly built to last. My most common problem is accidentally throwing out the black filter cap with the grounds.
 The Clover is a weird machine. Too expensive for home use but totally ill-equipped for commercial use. The boiler is only big enough to make 3 coffees in a row, after which it needs 10 mins to refill and heat back up.  That said, I wouldn't judge the machine based on your experience at Artis. Their coffee is really, really bad.
Curious how you like the Coil. Let us know when you get it. I've spoken with the guy who created it a few times.
 I know these guys a bit. It's a pretty good product. Curious to see how well they can scale up production to meet any real demand.