or Connect

Posts by joshuadowen

I'm not sure that arguments about data and statistics offer much here. Statistics don't really tell us what happened in any of those cases.    The fact is that we should be outraged every single time police officers kill anyone unnecessarily - and the gap between was it is legally allowed and what is necessary seems to keep growing.  In a free society, police should kill only as a last resort to keep people safe. Having watched both videos of yesterday's shootings, it...
 You are conflating unrelated statistics.
And either one of these things might be right - which is why we can't get too obsessed with the details of individual cases. The issue is never the specific details of an individual case, but the mountain of evidence that cops go out of their way not to kill white suspects (even when justified) and routinely kill black suspects. This is not a problem of individual bad actors, but of society as a whole. It won't be fixed by punishing cops who act badly. It can only be fixed...
 Thanks. And yes, I wasn't really even talking about this specific case, but about the dialogue as a whole. Every time police in America shoot or kill a young black man, the dialogue immediately turns to everything the young black man did wrong in life. In this case, there's a lot the guy did wrong - but that can't matter, because shooting people on the street is not how we punish bad people in this country. Or maybe it is now, but we can't let ourselves be okay with that....
And just for contrast:   http://wncn.com/2016/07/06/raleigh-man-fires-handgun-at-wake-county-deputy/   Old white guy in NC actually fires weapon at officer. Single officer is able to disarm and apprehend old white guy without firing any shots.
The "criminal record" thing is bullshit though. We don't live in a society where laws are applied equally to all citizens. I grew up in very well-off area, and the things that well-to-do, white teenagers are able to get away with would never fly in a poor, black community. When rich, white kids get caught with drugs, not only do they often avoid jail time, they often avoid any sort of record of the incident. Our jails are not filled with young black men because they commit...
Okay, great. That's a start. But why? Why do you think "black culture" tolerates and excuses violence and criminality? Why do you think "American culture" excuses or justifies black misbehavior?
This is both factually incorrect and logically flawed. You still haven't answered the very straightforward question I posed, and I suspect it's because you know you don't have a reasonable answer. Why do you think blacks commit proportionally more violent crime in America than whites or hispanics?
 Again though, force yourself to employ some basic logical reasoning.  We have an observed phenomenon: black people commit a disproportionate percentage of violent crime in America. If we assume this phenomenon isn't totally random (which seems like a reasonable assumption), then there must be some cause or series of causes. What do YOU believe the cause or causes of this phenomenon are? You seem to reject the notion that increased violence in black communities is a result...
 Okay so, what do you think is the cause here? Why are urban, black communities more violent than other communities? If you write off all circumstantial issues as excuses, you are left with no explanation other than some variation of "black people are violent and bad." Are you comfortable with that?