Posts by MSchapiro

The monetary supply is grown to assist in growth. As you may notice the population is growing along with the economy. A static money supply would therefore lead to deflation, which is bad for debtors (which most Americans are). The value of your debt stays the same while the price of your goods continiously decreases. Its disasterous for business.  This was a big issue for America in the 1800s and early 1900s on the gold standard. In fact a lot of farmers were against it...
Total circulation isn't really a relevant factor in comparing the worth of currencies. Generally the idea is that interest rate are the driver behind various currency values.  If one wants to be protected from inflation, there are many ways to do it. This doesn't inherently make something valueable.  The gold calculation also isn't sound. It doesn't take the cost to get it out of the ground into account, a cost that tehse days exceeds $1k an ounce. Also, no one is on the...
I can tell you that gold will probably be worth more in nominal USD 50 years from now, but that doesn't automatically make it a good long term investment. I may earn considerably more by purchasing other assets.  To my Gold and Bitcoin are somewhat similar assets in that they produce no return. The fact that bitcoin is spiking while gold is not makes me think it is hype. Long term there is always a risk that someone figures out how to synthetically create gold cheaply. Or...
Your best bet is to ask Antonio to clarify. 
I did mine around the same time. Just died on me last week. Thanks Windows 10.   This was a good laugh. 
Anything handmade will have variance in quality. The important thing is that Charlie has never shied away from replacing anything or offering a suitable alternative. 
Yes, you are correct, not technically a black swan. 
My view is that they have already been trounced.  The market has priced in three rates increases next year. AGNC took something like a 12% book value loss already and all the mREITs with similar portfolios fells a corresponding amount. If that happens the damage has already been done to book value and thus you get your 10% yield from holding them.  If the fed pulls back a bit slightly, then book value goes up. As long as the curve stays steep (and it probably will) then...
I follow you. I've started reducing my general market exposure.  Now I am holding mREITs ( I think the fed will pull off the gas a bit and the steep yield curve will remain, but some of the book value damage will be returned), oil and gas and industrials. I've sold off half my industrial positions, up about 20%. I've sold off most of my GM, up about 25% including dividends. I've sold off STAG, an industrial REIT.  On the oil front I am holding, I sold out of GLF a while...
Or because rising rates greatly benefit banks, while the number of checking accounts open does not? :) I am tempted to buy some for my parents portfolio.