or Connect

Posts by feynmix

Quote: Originally Posted by Pantisocrat an hour in not unreasonable. I spend about half hour just preparing the ingredients then another half an hour to get everything mixed. Now, if meat and lots of potato or carrot is in there, then maybe another 45 minutes to steam everything. No curry connoisseur is going to cook curry in an hour. You must not be Asian. I am Indian who eats Indian food 4 days a week. I have watched my mom cook Indian food...
Quote: Originally Posted by GQgeek I have some on the stove right now. i'm starving and the smell just makes me more hungry, but it still has another hour or so to go. I should marry an indian woman. Sorry to rain on your parade, but no curry should take an hour to cook.
In case anyone is interested or if helps bring another perspective, here is the company. Its called Greenlight Planet, Inc, and here is the link One of our main competitors is a company called D.Light, and browsing around, it looks like D.Light has received $6-7 mil in VC funding from some top notch firms (like DFJ). Our competitors haven't been able to find a successful distribution channel, and are now slowly moving out of India and into Africa. More later...
Quote: Originally Posted by ennui In my limited experience (1 successful startup, mostly big company work), here are some tips: * Weigh the opportunity costs of taking this job vs. other options. This is a really complicated question to answer, and will depend on how you want your career to play out. I don't know the specifics of your field or of this venture, so I cannot give any more specific advice. It is a very complicated question....
Is the train easiest and most efficient way to get from Paris to Barca?
Instead of creating a new thread, I am just going to continue on this one. Geneva trip is confirmed for next week, so it looks like I have 8.5 days to travel around Europe and get back into Geneva before flying back to NY. So..my co-worker pretty much derided me that I wasn't initially considering Paris as a place to visit. She is going to try and hook me up with an empty apartment for me and a friend to stay while in Paris, which would be awesome. How many days is...
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter wow, this isn't a simple thing. being the guy on the ground in a country is fun and very good for career development india is the place to be now - it is a growing economy and an important one. you can leverage that to work elsewhere, or you can make your career being an "india expert" for corporations. I have experience both in india and in working for start ups. if you have specific questions pm...
Folks, thanks for all the feedback. I have definitely considered a few points that you guys brought up, but there are a few questions raised here that I hadn't asked myself before. Quote: Originally Posted by Blackhood For the amount of work you'd be putting in I would expect some equity at least. Could you persuade them to give you a 12 month probationary period, with an equity share once some specific targets have been reached? (I would want this...
Quote: Originally Posted by cchen I say go for it. Will you make enough money to at least cover your living expenses and continue to pay your loans? It really looks like you have nothing much to lose here. Company doesn't do well, well you can still apply to b-school and have a great story to tell. We are still negotiating how much they will pay me. If I were to do it, I would live in Mumbai and its an expensive city to live in (comparable to...
(Warning: A bit lengthy) Would like some advice or comments from any fellow SF'ers that have started their own company, currently work for a start up, or have worked for one before. My current situation: 24 years old with little debt (15k fed loan at 2.5%) living in NYC. I have a BS in Physics from a top 5 school, and an MS in Financial Math from a very mediocre school (long story on how that happened). I currently work for a small risk consulting firm making OK...