or Connect

Posts by feynmix

Quote: Originally Posted by kwilkinson Maybe it's just me, but "I'm not rich" and "taking a year off to travel" seem mutually exclusive. I think he will probably just use whatever money he has saved to get him started, if I understand him correctly. Being loaded and also being able to take a year off to travel are certainly not mutually exclusive.
Quote: Originally Posted by gomestar +1. The upside down tuna tartare is simply fantastic. As are the foie gras, pork belly sliders, and lobster rolls. You can sit at the bar and have a good time as well, I was just there (again) a few days ago. The bar area at the Modern can get very crowded on weekends.
Quote: Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy Any new men's stores not to be missed? Don't know if any new men's stores have opened up, but have you been to Leffot? Great store and an awesome shoe collection.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim Apparently I grossly underestimated the amount of speaker wire a 7.1 surround system takes. Gotta go pick up 50 more feet or so. I have a pair of the same speakers. Picked up during college for about the same price. They are great bang for the buck speakers, and mine are still going 4 years strong. Enjoy the system. PS - I should hook up my system back again, by space is a premium in my tiny ass...
Not sure if this is consider "new" by your standards, but here are some ideas: Walk over the highline, and on chelsea piers if warm. Plenty of photography and art galleries to visit in the area too. Tim Burton exhibition at the MoMA is still going on. Lots of really good live jazz to listen to on the weekdays. Maybe a quick stop at one of the nice bars known for their cocktails. Check out the new Opening Ceremony shop at the Ace Hotel + other SF-type shops you haven't...
Taim is another spot in the WV for a good falafel. Had one of those Murray's melts yesterday and I have to say the sandwich + chips & drink deal for $6.50 is a very good deal.
Quote: Originally Posted by binge I concur. I've been to Athens a few times, and would only go back again to visit a good friend who lives there. If you do go to Athens, the newly opened Acropolis Museum is worth visiting. I may go back to Istanbul and elsewhere in Turkey this summer. I highly recommend. I spent a week in Turkey some years back: Fethiye, Antalya, and Istanbul; and barely scratched the surface. It will be super hot and humid in...
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter yeah, 3 days is pretty good for athens. so, 3-5 days in istanbul, 3-5 days in turkey, 3 days in athens. 2 weeks pretty good Thanks Globe. Was hoping you would chime in. Any suggestions for a particular time to go in the next few months? I am not too worried about scorching heat, as I can handle that. Just worried that some parts of the summer might be too packed with tourists and all the prices will be...
Bump. In planning stages for a trip this summer to Istanbul and Athens. Is 2 weeks enough time for both cities? Ideally, I would prefer to spend the entire 2 weeks in Turkey, with a week or so in Istanbul and then spend the other week traveling around Turkey. However, got some buddies coming with me and they want to do Athens as well. I am thinking of doing mid-July to first week of August, and am expecting the weather to be very hot. Please advice.
bumping this for any new discoveries? El Cocotero on 18th between 7th and 8th is pretty good Venezuelan food for very reasonable prices. Maffei's on 6th ave and 22nd has decent pizza. Looking for a place that makes good basil pesto based pizza...any recs?