or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the %&^*$ census website?    I've been trying the past hour but I keep on getting an error screen and a message telling me that the ABS website is very busy at the moment!
 I don't always agree with you, but we certainly see eye-to-eye on this issue.  The occasional display-back is OK, but it's become the default option nowadays. Manufacturers of all levels are slapping a little bit of decoration on to a movement, adding a display back, and upping the price of the watch because it's now got a display back feature and a "decorated" movement.  I'm not a big fan of most of Rolex's watches, but I do admire them for standing by their original...
 Yes, that was a truly, truly dreadful article. Unsurprisingly, it was by Louise Edmonds, who is the worst of Exec Style's stable of menswear writers. Most of her pieces come across as recycled marketing releases from fashion brands.    Congrats on the upcoming move to HK, and congrats on inheriting your dad's watch (and I hope that I'm correct in assuming that your dad is still alive and that he's just passed his watch on to you!).  If you want to get the bracelet...

Bit of a pointless quote without knowing that the life sentences were for.  Were they for mass murders, rape, or other very violent crimes? Or were they, for example, for people who'd been sentenced under the unnecessarily draconian (and ineffective) "three strikes" laws and who were sent to gaol for life for three, relatively trivial marijuana and petty theft offences? 
 Thanks for the link, Ed.  I'll just leave this here: 
 Used to be.  Now it's just the denim that's woven in Japan, but the jeans themselves are made in Pakistan or Bangladesh. 
 I actually really liked it, although part of that is probably because my dad and I (well, mostly my dad) made a bow together when I was 10 or 11 years old.   It's nice to think that there are people like SkinnyGoomba and the bow-maker (or bowyer) in the video out there, still making things by hand, preserving time-honoured, ancient skills.  Sure, perhaps it's not practical. Perhaps it could have been done many times faster using machines. However, the same can be said...
 Uniqlo's made-in-Japan, Japanese selvedge denim jeans were fantastic, and they fit really well (well, they fit me really well, anyway).  Now they're still made from Japanese selvedge denim, but they're made in Pakistan or Bangladesh and the cut's been changed and I don't like them as much, which is a great pity.  Still definitely worth a look, though, as if they fit well they're very good value.  I bought a pair of Uniqlo's selvedge denim jeans for my ten-year-old son...
 No underwear.