or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

DB, I reckon if you get a slouch hat from an army disposals store and wear it hiking and doing the yardwork for a while, it will look like Rob Redford's hat in not time at all.   You might want to get a different hatband (or "puggaree" in army-speak), though, as the original one is quite high.   Bonus trivia point: Puggaree, the army's term for the folded cloth band around the slouch hat, originally derives from the Hindi word "pagri", which means a headscarf, such as...
 Oz, it all depends on what sort of price level you're looking at.  If you're looking at quite affordable clothing, you could do much worse than look at Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin. Both of them have .com.au websites, sell in Australian dollars and I believe that shipping costs are quite affordable. Tyrwhitt does some pretty good casual gear as well as business clothes and I quite like their cotton trousers. 
  Absolutely. I haven't worn any t-shirts other than Uniqlo for about 10 years now. 
 Most imported shoes are very expensive in Japan due to import taxes. Curiously, in my experience, the English- and US-made shoes seem to be more expensive, relatively speaking, than the Italian and French shoes.  If you look around, you can find some screamingly good deals during sale time. I was seriously considering amputating my toes some years back because the RL mansion in Harajuku was selling RL Purple Label shoes by Edward Green for under $500 as part of their New...
 @Prince of Paisley might be able to chime in on this topic as I think that he's sampled some Japanese whiskies (although I could be wrong).  You should be able to get a few different, less-expensive bottles of Suntory's single-malt Yamazaki, at 12 and 18 years old as well as the 21 year old version.  Suntory also has another single-malt from another distillery located near Mt Fuji, Hakushu. I haven't had it for years but I remember that it had a smokier, peatier taste...
 I've heard this about a few workplaces (in addition to Apple and to architecture firms, where the "no jacket" rule goes without saying!). The rationale generally seems to be that jackets are too formal and "stuffy" and that clients might feel intimidated or overly-restrained if the person facing them is wearing a jacket.
 Well, quite literally so! 
 Some, but not all:  
 No.  The closest watch to the Prince that you'll find in Tudor's current line-up would be the Tudor Heritage Ranger, although it only comes with a black face and has a mix of Arabic numerals and baton (or stick) hour markers: http://www.tudorwatch.com/#/en/ranger/ It costs over $3000 in Australia, I think. You should be able to pick up a good, vintage Tudor Prince for $1800 - $2000, which is quite a bit less than the virtually identical Rolex Oysterdate of the same...
 Unfortunately, this happens a lot in Japan. There aren't many old buildings left. That's partly due to earthquakes and partly due to bombing in WWII, but a lot of it is due to deliberate demolition for redevelopment. In recent years, the excuse generally given is that it would be too difficult or too expensive to retrofit the buildings to cope with new earthquake-resistance standards, and those excuses are somewhat valid. My parents-in-law had their house extensively...