or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

I don't know about Vietnam, but Thailand is great. Sure, some parts of it are very touristy, but there's still plenty of fantastic places, people are very friendly, food is great. Yes, there are touts, but you'll find them in many places in SE Asia. If you have time, I'd certainly include Thailand on your itinerary. I had some of the most amazing experiences of my life in the several months that I spent travelling through Indonesia in 1996-1997. Yes, some places were...
 Sure, of course it doesn't - although it's worth noting that the million-dollar art is usually out of the reach of infants and toddlers.  All I was saying is that if Foo wishes to have kids, he may wish to delay some of his expensive purchases until the kids have grown up a bit or, alternatively, get furniture that won't be easily stained or damaged by young kids. He is, of course, entirely free to disregard any and all advice given and to do precisely what he originally...
 We never "child-proofed" our place, in the sense that we didn't put bumpers on things, nor did we deliberately get things with rounded corners and so on. However, we did make a deliberate decision not to spend thousands of dollars on individual items of furniture before having kids/when the kids were young, as we were well aware that kids dribble and vomit and that they don't take care of things in the way that older kids and adults do. Clearly, I don't know your parents,...
 Bear in mind that babies/toddlers will dribble and vomit on things and they will scratch, chew and hit things. My wife and I decided that we'd start a family as soon as we got married so when we moved in together, we deliberately bought pretty cheap furniture at first (a fair bit of Ikea, particularly for storage) and kept other furniture that each of us had already. Once the youngest kid turned four, we started upgrading to a better couch, better dining table (one with a...
This certainly isn't the first time that this has been discussed on SF, nor on similar forums such as AAAC.   Essentially, I think that it's generally agreed that a pair of well-made, Goodyear-welted shoes will generally last longer than a pair of cheap, glued-sole shoes as both the soles and the uppers will generally last longer and the Goodyear-welted shoes can be re-soled, too.   However, given that you can get Goodyear-welted shoes for a few hundred dollars,...
 What is your information? I don't know whether to give Horns a thumbs-up or not, as I've got no idea what's happened!
^ Guys, just a brief reminder not to quote spam, as it probably only encourages spammers and helps their spam to live on after the original post has been deleted. Also, once the original post has been deleted, the quote looks rather out-of-place and redundant.   Much better to just report it, using the little flag down in the bottom left-hand corner of the post.
 blahman, I must admit that I'd entirely forgotten about Monty's. They used to have a little shop that was tucked away in a very inconvenient location and was only open during the week so I hadn't been there for years and, when I went there, they only sold their own hand-made chocolates (which, admittedly, were very, very nice).  I just did a search for them and discovered that they've moved and that Monty's now has a little shop just around the corner from my building!...
I know that TAG Heuer doesn't get a lot of love here, but from time to time, they do make some nice watches. Perhaps unfortunately, that's usually when they dip into their back catalogue and re-issue versions of their watches from the 1960s and 1970s!    I recently noticed that they're re-issuing a nice-looking two-register chrono:   http://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-the-tag-heuer-carrera-telemeter-cal-18/   It looks nice, and has a "reverse panda" colour...
With regard to Pantherella socks, I've had good - very good - experiences with their thicker wool socks, which have lasted me really well. I do, however, only tend to wear them with boots and mostly only in the winter.    Their thinner wool socks remain soft and feel really nice, but tend to wear out a bit more quickly at the toes and heel/ankle.    However, the thinner wool socks are better than Pantherella's cotton socks which just haven't been very good for me -...