or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

I haven't used baby wipes on clothes myself, but it's certainly a good idea to invest in a decent clothes brush and to give your suits (both jacket and trousers, particularly the front of each) a brush after you take them off, each time you wear them. It's also entirely possible to iron your suit trousers yourself. I put a teatowel over the trouser legs when I iron, as otherwise the fabric can become shiny. However, you can use any sort of thin, cotton cloth in between...
 PJT's prices start quite high nowadays, as they now have everything made in Italy. Suit Shop, a PJT subsidiary, effectively replaced PJT's original, cheaper line of made-to-measure suits. Suit Shop only offers limited options but is quite affordable.  I wouldn't go to Rochefort for suits or shirts. I've heard that his ties are well-made, but the patterns aren't to my taste.  Zink & Sons are (as far as I'm aware) more of a bespoke (drafting an individual pattern for you...
  It's interesting that you say that - it's all subjective, isn't it? Personally, I really like the snowflake hands on the Tudor BB and Pelagos, and I don't like the "Mercedes" hands on the Rolex, but I really like the crown guards on the Rolex and don't like the crown stem tube on the BB! 
 Oli, as far as I'm aware, GST is charged on the cost of the watch in AUD, plus the cost of shipping (in other words, the cost of the watch's arrival in Australia).  If the seller ships via FedEx or another such courier service, the courier will usually charge you a "service fee" for dealing with customs and paying the GST charge, too. 
 Pelagos is a bit too large for me but if you don't mind the size, it is a very nice watch.  The Black Bay Noir is also great and more wearable (for me) than the Pelagos, but I don't like the tube-like crown stem. However, that's a subjective issue and others don't mind it.  I noticed that LunarOyster (one of the US sellers I recommended in my earlier post) has a vintage Tudor Sub with snowflake hands and a blue dial and bezel that is very nice. 
 Well, Submariners are depressingly common nowadays amongst #menswear types, it must be said!  You could use the WatchRecon site to do a search, as that collates listings from various sales fora (Timezone, Watchuseek, Rolex Forum and various others).  Also have a look at the pages of reputable sellers such as Alex Pig in HK or Kirill Yuzh at LunarOyster in the US.  Vintage Watch Co in Brisbane and Sydney also sometimes have second-hand Submariners.  In Australia, at least,...
 What sort of metal toe taps are you talking about?  If you're talking about the flush toe taps that you sometimes see on more expensive shoes, then there's little point in purchasing them because, as far as I am aware, no-one in Sydney is willing to fit them for you.  If you're talking about the regular little crescent-shaped toe taps, then pretty much any cobbler will fit them for you. If they're fitted to the tip of the shoe, they work just as well as the flush toe taps...
  Just did a search and discovered that Nike originally brought these out in 1989, in response to Reebok's Pump, but that they haven't been reproduced since then. To be quite frank, I think that it's pretty easy to understand why Nike didn't keep on making them and why they never bothered to reproduce them over the past 25 years...
  Wait - so Nike's making a Reebok Pump about 25 years after Reebok first came out with Pump boots, but it will be even less convenient and fiddlier than the Pump boots because you'll need some sort of separate tool to inflate the boots?  Yeah, that sounds just great. 
  If anyone is looking for a pilot-style watch, they could do worse (in my humble opinion) than look at getting a third-generation Omega Dynamic. The Dynamic was a rather eccentric line made by Omega in the 1970s and they re-started it in the 1990s, but without much success. I think that they would have done better to use a different name, rather than Dynamic.  Nonetheless, the watches are well-made, nicely-styled (again, in my opinion) and have an ETA movement that is...