or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

I think that their argument is that they don't charge non-EU residents VAT.  Instead of charging you VAT, businesses such as House of Fraser just happen to charge non-EU residents precisely the same price as an EU resident pays when VAT is included. In other words, they're not charging you VAT and then keeping the VAT - they're practicing discriminatory pricing and they're charging non-EU residents a higher price than they charge EU residents.
  Freudian slip? 
 Not leather, resin-covered canvas with a bit of leather trim.
   I love this vase.
As a counterpoint to the controversial review of Rolex's (now discontinued, I think?) calibre 3000 movement by Walt Odets, here is a rather hyperbolic article on Rolex by Wei Koh, editor-in-chief of Revolution magazine (and also of The Rake):   http://revo-online.com/inside-the-rolex-movement-manufacture-birth-of-the-beating-heart/   Clearly, Rolex do make good, reliable watches, but things become a bit outlandish at times during the article:   "So the irrefutable...
 I think that the point is not so much the durability of shell (and it's been said that this cordovan is thinner than the cordovan used by Alden and Carmina for their shoes, anyway), but more because some people simply like the look of shell - it requires little care, doesn't wrinkle too badly (as it tends to "roll" more than wrinkle) and has a real warmth and depth of colour. So, whilst I could be wrong, I think that it's those qualities that have attracted people in this...
 I suspect that the first pair are by Loake, mainly because, if I remember correctly, Loake has or had a model called the Knightsbridge and I know that Loake has made Herring shoes in the past. Also, I just noticed that the Knightsbridge are made on the 026 last, which is a Loake last, so those shoes are definitely made by Loake.  In my experience, Loake are typically a bit better than Barker. Of course, they each have some different grades of shoes and I know that Barker...
I bought some Carmina shell cordovan boots from Unipair a while back, and the service was top-notch. Great communication, speedy delivery, the boots were very, very well packed, and the package included a small gift (a notebook).    Their normal prices are a bit higher than other Carmina vendors (and if Sth Korea is anything like Japan, that's probably because of import duties on shoes), but when they have a sale, their prices are very competitive and the service is...
 I mostly wear my light coloured jackets with navy trousers - here's a bad example: http://www.styleforum.net/g/i/1380142/a/326534/australian-members/sort/thumbs/ Mid/RAF blue can also work well.
  I've got a couple of Panama hats - one expensive one from a hat shop here in Brisbane (that looks quite like the photo that Pink Socks just posted) and one cheap one that I picked up in Japan during summer a couple of years back. The one that I bought here has a very tight weave and I wouldn't want to throw it in a bag whilst travelling.  The Japanese one has a looser, larger weave and folds up very easily. I can throw it in a backpack or in a suitcase and squash it down...