or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

I've got to agree with apropos.  I do think that if you're older, if you've got experience, if you've been around for a while, then you can quite possibly wear linen and get away with it. I do (albeit not as a suit, but as odd jackets), but then I'm middle aged and also wear brightly coloured cotton trousers with loafers in summer, so I'm regarded as a bit eccentric.  However, if you're starting out, then I think that it's best to make a reputation for yourself due to...
 Thanks for that link - there are some truly beautiful houses there.  Some of them are a bit overdone, but it's great to see that it's still possible to - albeit for a very large sum of money - have lovely stone, timber or brick houses built as they were built a hundred years ago or more, with wide, heavy wooden floorboards, great finishing and great attention to detail. 
 Ah, the good old days when Fletcher Jones:a) Still existed;b) Still made stuff in Australia (in Warrnambool, to be precise); andc) Still made decent quality clothing. My dad used to buy all of his trousers from FJs and they had some great stuff - as well as the standard charcoal and mid-gray woollen trousers, they also had some great, small-scale houndstooth and overcheck patterns. They were great, and I wish that you could still walk into your local menswear store and...
 Considering that Clinton gathered more popular votes than Trump, I'd hardly say that the left has been utterly rejected.  I may be wrong, but I suspect that if the Democrat candidate had been someone other than Clinton - someone regarded as less of a creature of the establishment - then they would have been more likely to not only win the popular vote, but also to have won sufficient areas to have also garnered more than 50% of Electoral College votes. 
 As LM mentioned, if you import an item over $1000 in value, particularly if it comes to Australia via a courier rather than by a national postal organisation such as Royal Mail or the US Postal Service, then you'll most likely be hit with GST and duties of 15% (10% GST and 5% duties), based on the combined value of the item and the shipping cost.  The processing can vary - some of the fees charged by courier companies can be pretty steep.  As an aside, the 5% duty amount...
 I have a pair of Loakes on the Capital last in a UK9 and I also have a pair of Carmina balmoral shoes on the Rain last in a UK9.  The fit of the Rain last is less generous than the Loake Capital last, in my experience. Whilst the Rain last does fit me in a UK9, it's taken them quite a few wears to feel comfortable and to give me a little bit of room. If I was to order again, I'd seriously consider going up half-a-size up in the Rain last and ordering a UK9.5. 
 Chatwin's writing is fantastic at times, irritating at others.  If you're interested in another book that (partially) covers the same area, you could look at Paul Theroux's "The Old Patagonian Express".  If you're interested in trying more Chatwin, you could try "The Songlines", which is an interesting book that attracted some controversial opinions when it was published. Some thought Chatwin was being colonialist and "masculinist", others (including myself) enjoyed the...
 I guess it's the dining equivalent of the Pio-chair - not stylish but comfy?
 Yes, that sort of obsessive attention to detail is what makes a lot of Japanese brands really good.