or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

I wash in cold water, using individual laundry bags for all of my shirts, in a top-loader machine and then I line dry outside on a hanger. I tend to get 9-10 years out of most of my shirts, although I've got a royal oxford shirt that's about five years old that has a bit of foxing on one collar point. Most of my shirts, when they start to wear, do so around the collar, where the collar itself attaches to the collar band.
Oh, man, those chairs.   The father of one of my friends is an architect, and he had those kitchen chairs in the 1980s and 1990s. He also had a white dining table with a lacquered finish and a big, bowl-shaped light shade made of beaten metal hanging from the ceiling. In the neighbouring room, he had a B&O audio set up in a brushed steel finish, a Tivoli table radio and some sort of MCM or MCM-inspired Scandinavian lounge chairs.   I really liked some of their stuff,...
To veer back on to a legal topic again, some in this thread may be aware that the now-departed Newman LNP state government of Queensland appointed a new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in 2014. To say that the appointment was unpopular amongst the judiciary would be the understatement of the year. Carmody CJ had previously been a Family Court judge some years ago, and he had chaired an inquiry into institutional child abuse, but more recently he had simply been a Chief...
 Food - they're also obsessed with food. I think that Lee Kwan Yew did a huge amount of good for Singapore but that he (and his family) stayed beyond their time. There comes a time when a leader - even the founding father - of a country needs to relinquish the reins and let the country grow up and carry on without him (or her, as the case may be). Unfortunately, that did not happen in this case, which is not at all unusual. It's also unfortunate that both Singapore and its...
 I agree, and it's frustrating. The silly thing is that clearly there are lots of shirts in stock, as they're for sale on the Japanese website, but the non-Japanese website isn't being updated to reflect the stock. What makes that even sillier is that the shirts purchased from the non-Japanese online store are all sent out from Japan, so it's not as though updating the non-Japanese store would require any physical changes, such as sending a big pile of shirts over to the...
^ Very nice, very nice indeed.   I'd love to get a pair of Harlech boots and also a pair of Skye IIs (or the RL Lindricks) in the future.
   Maybe CD is just interested in Greek mythology...
 I get G.Inglese made-to-order via Deer Style in Brisbane:   I'm afraid that I'm not sure about P.Johnson, Suit Shop and Oscar Hunt.  Obviously, the two most important things are features and fit, with hand-work coming a distant third. Certainly, it's very nice to have hand-stitched details on shirts, but ultimately it's not an important part of the shirt, as opposed to making sure that it fits well and that it has the collar/placket/cuffs/buttons and so on that you want. 
 Really lovely shoes, but I've got to say that the absurd prices that Alden enthusiasts are paying for Alden shell shoes nowadays rather reminds me of the Dutch tulip mania in the 1630s.
 It was actually quite an interesting case and it resulted in some intense "water cooler" discussions at my work (as I work in the legal section of a Commonwealth government department, albeit not one that was involved in the above case in any way). I always thought that she was pushing a very large barrow of rocks up a very steep hill with her claim, for precisely the reason that you stated above - in essence, she brought in the injury upon herself and it was surprising...