or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

I suppose that it never pays to take anything in the newspapers' "style" sections seriously, but this advertorial on photography and photographic equipment from Fairfax's "Essential Style" section is particularly egregious:   "Snappy gear to help you travel like a professional photographer"   The first item is a Leica camera, for $5900, with a fixed lens. Let's think about that again - a fixed-lens camera for $6000. The following items include a leather bag for...
 Looks like a guarantee that the AP case will be scratched, at the very least! I think that it makes his wrist look a bit crowded, personally. In other news, I decided to idly browse a local watch retailer at lunch-time today and tried on a Tudor Pelagos, a Tudor Black Bay, Rolex Submariner and Rolex Deepsea. I loved the look of the Pelagos the most out of all of them, but even though it was quite light due to the titanium construction, it just seemed too bulky for my...
    One-button cuffs, particularly on odd jackets, was a popular style in the 1960s and early 1970s, but then seemed to fade away and three- and four-button cuffs became much more common. I did, however, see a Gianni Versace suit with a one-button cuff about ten years back, so I suppose that some fashion designers liked to use it as a point of difference.
 Oli, It's difficult to say. Personally, I'd definitely choose commercial law over PI law, but I do know some people who do a lot of PI law and who enjoy it. However, there are some firms out there that do a *lot* of PI cases and it's rather like a sausage factory, with a huge amount of pressure to push claims through as quickly as possible and to settle as quickly as possible even though the settlement might not be in the best interests. If the Parramatta firm is one of...
^ Looks interesting.   I haven't seen any of the Capaldi Doctor Who episodes as yet. I watched Doctor Who when young, so I saw a lot of the 3rd, 4th and 5th Doctor episodes (Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison) but didn't like Colin Baker or the subsequent doctors and can understand why the series came to an end for quite a while.   I wasn't such a fan of Ecclestone's Doctor but really like Tennant. I then lost a bit of interest again with Matt Smith's Doctor but my...
 Lovely home. Interestingly, the ad states that it sold for $739 000 in 2006 and now it's for sale for $619 000.
With regard to the post about the Elgin-branded chronometer:   The Wikipedia article for the Elgin Watch Company notes that:   "All US manufacturing was discontinued in 1968, and the rights to the name "Elgin" were sold and subsequently resold multiple times over the years. The rights eventually were purchased by MZ Berger Inc., which company manufactures its watches in China and distributes them outside traditional watch dealerships. Elgin-branded watches produced...
I really like the look of the Grand Repo, especially in leather.   Unfortunately, they command ridiculous prices in Australia (which is par for the course here, as we pay more for almost everything).
^ Are those actual photos, or are they computer renderings? They look quite realistic but still have that "computer-generated" look about them.
Does anyone have any info as to when the Nike ACG Air Mowabb re-edition is being released?   I had a pair back in the 1990s and they were fantastic - quite possibly the best pair of sneakers I've ever had - so I'd really like to get another pair. Let's hope that they're made well and that Nike haven't cheapened the construction and materials used.   I've seen a few articles about the release date being in the second half of 2015, but nothing more precise than that.