or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

A friend of mine has that exact bag from Custom Hide.  The two straps actually have hidden latches beneath the buckles, so you can undo and do up the buckles very quickly. Some people may like that feature, some may prefer it if it only had buckles.  The leather is thick and supple and the bag has been very hard-wearing so far, and he's had it for a few years.  My only quibble is that the stitching around some of the edges is slightly uneven - it's not always straight....
 The great thing about Singapore is that it's such a fantastic transport hub to the rest of Asia. While you're there, go on as many trips as you can - long weekends up to Melaka and Penang, a week in Borneo, a few days somewhere else in SE Asia and so on. 
 It's not unusual to take a larger size in sneakers than it is in dress shoes - I take a UK9 in dress shoes and a UK10 in sneakers/running shoes.  The trick, though, as @fxh notes, is to realise that you take a different size in both, instead of also wearing UK10 dress shoes. 
Just wandered into Country Road for the first time in aeons and picked up a couple of pairs of espadrilles at 50% off, reduced to $49. The rope soles have a thin rubber layer (rather like a Topy, really!) applied so they should be more durable than regular espadrilles.    If you're an espadrille kind of guy, given the low Australian dollar, you'll really struggle to get them more cheaply than this at the moment. 
 I think that if you have a look around various watch fora and do some reading, you'll end up with a pretty good idea of what a good vintage Carrera or Autavia should look like. Sites like "On The Dash" and "Calibre 11" are really great resources for Heuer enthusiasts.  The problem is, as Firenze Rob said, that prices for Autavias, some Carreras and some other vintage Heuer models have shot up over the past decade. A good, vintage Heuer now easily commands 4-5 times more...
 Yes, many parts of the US are still deeply, deeply conservative.  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/business/catalog-interview-with-gloria-steinem-has-lands-end-on-its-heels.html?_r=0 Dare to feature an interview with a feminist who favours legal access to abortion and all of a sudden multiple organisations are threatening to boycott you...
Back on to the topic of watches again for a moment, I just read that Seiko has opened a store in Sydney:   http://timeandtidewatches.com/event-seiko-sydney-swiss-rivalry-and-sushi-style-bladework-four-things-you-need-to-about-japans-biggest-watch-brand/
 I guess that could explain why they're now extinct! 
 I've never been to one of the Komehyo stores, so I really can't say, although I've heard that Komehyo in Ginza does have a good selection of watches.  I have been to "Jack Road" and a couple of the other stores in the Nakano Broadway area and they have more mid- to high-end stock compared to Book Off, as Jack Road is purely a watch shop, but if you want a brand that is popular in Japan such as Omega or Tag Heuer, then the large Book Off stores have very good selections. 
 I had some great dog in East Timor, but the dog in Flores just wasn't as good!  Entirely agree on the "eat where you can see the cooking" philosophy - that's why the warungs/street stalls are so good.  Kaya toast is great.   Book Off also sells second-hand watches. I'm not sure what prices are like now, but it used to be a great place to pick up a second-hand Omega Speedy Pro in excellent condition.