or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

Absolutely - there should be a picture of Urquhart next to the definition of "Machiavellian" in the dictionary.
^ She certainly looks like she's got quite a bit of history...
 I'm not so sure, and I think that you might be being a bit too generous there. There's quite clearly a demand for well-worn watches and on various watch forums and in sale listings, there are mentions of the dial patination, faded bezels, the way the tritium has changed colour and so on. Clearly, there are people out there want to buy watches with a history, even though it's not their own history. Maybe it's just me, but I do find a bit odd. Surely it's better to make...
   +1. Ian Richardson is fantastic as Francis Urquhart. "You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
They look interesting, and I like the number 4 triple-stripe. Some of the plain colours look nice, too.
  I saw that photo on a newspaper website last night, and it's pretty amazing. I must say, though, that's either a very large woodpecker or a very small weasel.    Absolutely. I know that some people nowadays almost fetishize watches with faded bezels and dials etc - and I suppose that it's handy to help establish authenticity, too, as a watch that's clearly time-worn is very unlikely to be a fake - but I don't really see the point of getting all excited over a watch that...
 That happened to me a couple of weeks back. I sat down on the bus and an old man sitting opposite me leaned over and whispered, "Don't look down right now, but your fly's undone!" I just put my briefcase on my lap for the rest of the trip and then surreptitiously adjusted things when I got off the bus.
 I'm not sure how much such an alteration will be down in Melbourne - hopefully less than Brisbane! In any case, whether you'll need to have them taken up at the cuff or at the shoulder depends upon a) how much they need to be taken up and b) how much you've got at the bottom of the sleeve. If you don't need to have too much taken up, a good tailor can also curve the cuff a little bit, so that it's shorter at the front and a bit longer at the back (where the buttons are)...
 +1. Saddle or cognac shell on the Queens last would be great, instead of #8 on the Simpson. I know it's subjective, but to me, the Simpson last looks a bit too "pointy" for a split-toe blucher.
 Working sleeve button-holes on off-the-rack suits are one of my pet peeves. Unless you're lucky with sleeve length, they make it expensive and awkward to alter sleeves and, if your jacket happens to be made from a patterned fabric, it may make it very difficult to match up the pattern at the sleevehead after shortening.  What makes it even more ridiculous is that (in Brisbane, at least), you can get working button-holes cut and stitched (by machine, not hand - hand would...