or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

Sure, there are screens. However, if I had a toddler or young child and I was building a house next to a steep drop, I'd make sure that I built a balustrade around the edge of the verandah/deck. Otherwise, they're either going to have to keep the screens closed the whole time, or keep an eye on their child all the time just in case they get too close to the edge and topple over.
I just spotted this article, published in an Australian online site but apparently originally from the NY Times, about the evolution of Hodinkee:  http://www.executivestyle.com.au/hodinkee-inc-is-the-facebook-for-watch-aficionados-gj1z11 The money quote:    So, if the article is accurate, it sounds as though Hodinkee wants to start offering its own auction service, as well as its own discussion forum/social network. 
 When you click on the title of the print, it takes you to a page for the print with the price, condition and a link to an "Etsy" page. It looks as though the well-known prints are all reproductions, although they state that they are all done by the woodblock method. When you scroll down the page, it loads a lot more prints. The ones at the top of the page - the ones that are woodblock-printed reproductions - are listed as "woodblock ukiyo-e prints", whereas the ones...
 Yes, "ukiyo", or "the floating world", is a euphemism for the demi-monde, the world of merchants, courtesans, show-business people and so on that existed under the surface of polite society during the latter part of the Tokugawa Shogunate. However, it's now used as a general term for woodblock prints, although technically the correct term for woodblock print is "moku hanga" or just "hanga". There's a subset of ukiyo-e called "shunga", which rather euphemistically means...
 Unfortunately, the Hanae Mori building was demolished recently (part of Tokyo's eternal cycle of destruction and renewal) and I don't know where the cluster of antique stores and art and craft stores that were housed in the basement level have gone. As FlyingMonkey said, it's generally best to see these sort of things in person so as to get an idea of the condition, but there are a few places to buy ukiyo-e online, such as this...
Bounder, that's very nice indeed.   I've got a number of ukiyo-e, or woodblock prints (literally, "pictures of the floating world") that were done mainly in the late 19th century, although a couple of mine were printed in the early 20th century.   I've no idea where to get them outside Japan, unfortunately, but in Japan you can pick up some really good quality ukiyo-e quite cheaply. There used to be a place in the basement of the Hanae Mori building in Harajuku that...
@billbro - To add to Selvaggio's thoughts, you could also consider a mohair-blend fabric.   I've got a couple of suits that have a significant percentage of mohair and the mohair gives them some spring and stiffness that also seems to help the longevity of the trousers.
 As The Wraith said, you could look at Aspinal. There are a few other English brands that make leather accessories, such as Robertson Jessel. Jessel's wallets are very nice and, from memory, a bit cheaper than Ettinger or Aspinal. I came up with a few local options when LonerMatt asked about wallets a few weeks ago: http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/63660#post_7994124 
 I've just stopped buying anything from overseas at present, although I am saving up for some more G.Inglese shirts from Deer Style.  I was thinking of getting a pair of driving moccasins from overseas, as my brown pair have finally worn out, but the shock of the price conversion made me decide against it for the time being!