Posts by Journeyman

IMHO, the book of Blade Runner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) is better than the movie.  Of course, the movie has great visual appeal, Harrison Ford does a good job, and Rutger Hauer's largely ad-libbed speech is fantastic ("I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to...
 That's very cool. When I visited Nikko, in Japan, earlier this year we went to Rinno-ji temple, which is currently being extensively renovated.  The whole temple was covered with a massive, temporary building that was 6-7 stories tall and you could climb up to the top of it and look down upon the renovation procedures, including the disassembly of much of the temple, the recovery of usable beams, and the replacement of other beams.  Anyway, in the observation gallery, as...
 What sort of standard size does "size 4" translate into? M? L? 38? 40? 42?
 I haven't read Bleeding Edge, but I read Lot 49 and Vineland back at university and really enjoyed them.  Inherent Vice was a bit more of a chore in parts, but still enjoyable.  Gravity's Rainbow, on the other hand, was one of the only books that I have never finished reading. I've picked it up a few times over the past decade but never really get any further into it before putting it back down again. 
 A fantastic book. The Yiddish Policemen's Union is also great.  I must find a copy of "Gentlemen of the Road" as a friend of mine highly recommended it. 
  I watched both this and 1984 (with John Hurt and Richard Burton) when I was in high school and they blew my mind.  The book of 1984 was depressing enough but it was even worse watching it on film - the grimy, dreary, stress-filled life under Big Brother.  I also remember watching Blue Velvet on TV one Saturday evening when I was in grade 9 or 10 and that freaked me out. 
 Not one of Chabon's best works (the writing, that is, not his son!).  I like clothing, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here on SF. I enjoy looking at it, discussing it, wearing it.  I don't, however, think that it's important. Clothes are just things you wear to cover your body. Yes, some clothes look nicer than other clothes. Maybe some clothes will make you look cooler, or more attractive to whichever gender you happen to like. However, it's just clothing.  These...
 I really like Uniqlo's linen shirts for casual, weekend wear, but the collars aren't really made for wearing with a tie.    It's all faded to dust by now, hasn't it??
 Hopefully, your financial position has improved, otherwise you really shouldn't be thinking of spending some thousands of dollars on a watch...   Coincidentally, I went to the same high school as "Archie Luxury", although he was a couple of years ahead of me.  As far as I was aware, he was working as an accountant but, when reading a newspaper a couple of years ago, I saw his real name mentioned in an article about spotting fake luxury goods as he apparently holds himself...
  I watched it on a plane earlier this year and didn't really enjoy it.  I much preferred "The Departed" which, while based on the Hong Kong movie "Infernal Affairs", was also based on Whitey Bulger's story - Irish-American crime boss in Boston who trades off info to the FBI in return for them largely ignoring his criminal activities.