or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

Croc tail is nice. I've mainly had it cooked on a teppan (Japanese hotplate) when cut into cubes. Horse is good, although I've mainly eaten it raw, as "basashi". Snake, as blah said, isn't so good but deep fried, crispy snake skin is nice. Lizard, when cut open and grilled over the hot coals, is good and tastes like a cross between lamb and chicken. Dog is nice grilled but not as good when stewed, although that might also have something to do with the people making the...
 One of my favourites is when, after Rick has shot the German officer, the police chief, Renault, turns to his subordinate and orders, "Round up all the usual suspects!" I found the interplay between Renault and Rick to be the most enjoyable part of the film - they have a lot of great exchanges and Claude Rains was very good as Renault. Rick: "How can you close me up? On what grounds?"Renault: "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"Croupier to...
 Perhaps surprisingly, St Crispin's shoes are made in Romania. There are some very nice Italian-made shoes by brands such as Santoni, de Tommasso and Silvano Sassetti, but a lot of Italian shoes are a bit more "out there" in styling than British shoes - deep antiquing on the toes, rather ostentatious "norvogese" welt stitching and other such features. Also, Italian shoes tend not to be available as widely, at least in Australia and also on-line. It's often easier to try on...
 What size are you? The sweet spot for clothing is if you're a US size 34 - 38. You can still get clothes for a US 40, there's less variety for size 42 and if you're a size 44 there's almost nothing unless you want casual stuff from Uniqlo. Have a look at the Isetan Men's Annex in Shinjuku in Tokyo, go to one of the big Tokyu Hands stores (multi-level stores filled with arts and crafts, home furnishing, hobby stuff, outdoor stuff and lots of other eclectic things), head to...
 "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine..." "Here's lookin' at you, kid." Great movie.
   Prices will probably be a bit lower than the Australian website (although that may no longer be the case once the exchange rate's been factored in, with the lower Australian dollar), but you still won't get VAT deducted. 
 Yes, they stopped doing that some time back.  Then, as an inevitable next step, they opened an Australian website, so everyone in Oz is supposed to order through the Australian portal now. 
 I think that there are quite a few threads on Charles Tyrwhitt, and the virtues of Tyrwhitt vs TM Lewin and other, similar shirt companies. I had a few CT shirts about 10 years back and they're definitely good value for money. The collars were (at that time, at least) a bit too stiff for my taste, as the interlining is quite firm and I prefer a softer collar. However, that's a personal preference. For the money, both CT and TM Lewin are pretty much impossible to beat. TM...
^ I don't know the specific model, but if it helps with your search, I can say that it's a Speedmaster "Reduced", rather than a Speedmaster Professional. By that, I mean that it's a bit smaller than the Speedmaster Professional (hence the "reduced" name - I think that the case is about 4mm smaller in diameter) and has an automatic, rather than the traditional manual-wind, movement.   I don't think that Omega makes the Reduced any more - at least not as a men's model -...
 Noooooo! Don't lead him down that rabbit-hole, or he'll be spending $1000 on a pair of crumpled boots that look as though they were made for farmers or miners during the Great Depression and have been worn ever since.