Posts by Journeyman

Speaking of fashions from the 1990s, here's an article from the Economist on Trump's fashion sense: https://www.1843magazine.com/style/last-trump-for-the-suit
 As has been said, the op shops run by Vinnies, the Salvos etc are primarily not there so that poor people can buy things from them.  In all seriousness, you can go to Target or K-Mart and buy a polo shirt for $5. Yes, $5. And Big W and Best-and-Less are probably even cheaper. When you can buy clothing so cheaply from stores that you can find in every major shopping centre, why would you go to the bother of finding an op shop?  My mother passed away a couple of years ago...
 I read it when it first came out, and enjoyed it.  Interestingly, a friend of mine who really liked Gaiman (and who had collected all of his Sandman graphic novel series) really didn't like American Gods at all.  It is interesting, and combines elements of various religions. Essentially, it's about the fading of the old gods, who were brought to the new world of America by migrants, and the birth of new gods (mostly related to technology) and how some of the old gods...
 Gumtree or eBay, perhaps?  I suspect it won't get much love on any of the watch sites like Timezone Sales Forum or Watchuseek because it's got a quartz movement.   If you're buying from Cappelli's main selection (as opposed to sale selection), doesn't he offer free shipping if you buy more than three ties or spend more than 200 Euro or something like that? Edited to add: Ah, just had a look at the Cappelli website for the first time in quite a while and noticed that the...
 Semi-seriously, that could be a good idea.  If you keep on looking at this thread - and at SF in general - you'll see an awful, awful lot of stuff that you don't need at all, but that you really want!
  His mistake was listing it in the Classic Menswear classifieds - if he'd listed it in the SW&D classifieds, it would probably have sold by now...
 That's exactly the way I also feel about a lot of modern JLC watches, which I think is why the sector dials appeal to me. I'd be interested in having a look at them and trying one on, too, so as to see how they look in real life, rather than in photos. 
 I've got to say that, with woollen trousers, I prefer half-lined, to the knee.  The suit looks very nice and I love the shirt collar. What was the turn-around time and how many fittings did you have?
 No - he used to shoot bullets out of his bum instead! 
 The author of the book ("Chinmoku" in Japanese) was a Japanese Catholic and his faith infused the book, as well as some of the other books he wrote.  I found the book to be interesting, very emotional, and also very depressing. Essentially, it is about Rodrigues' internal struggles with his faith. In the absence of any response from God to his fervent prayers, Rodrigues can continue to bear the pain of torture himself, for his own faith, but he struggles over whether it...