or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

I could be wrong, but I think that it is a sort of crown cover, or crown cap, rather than the crown itself. You unscrew the cap/cover to get to the crown and, so you don't lose the cap, it's attached to the watch case by the little chain link. 
 Apsley Cherry-Garrard's "The Worst Journey in the World".  Amazing book - really quite incredible to think of people voluntarily undergoing such privation. Well worth a read. How are you getting there? Via Sth America? If so, you could always read "In Patagonia" and "The Old Patagonian Express" (although Loner Matt didn't enjoy Chatwin's In Patagonia). 
 Absolutely.  Some of their models are not to my taste, such as the "Bulgari Bulgari", even though it was designed by Genta. Bulgari do make some really great, and technically impressive watches. The Octo Finissimo, particularly the Finissimo Tourbillon and Minute Repeater models, are really, really, really good - and they look nice, too. However, I think that Bulgari definitely does suffer from being perceived as a "fashion" watch company, rather than a serious...
 I agree, and not coincidentally, that's what I did earlier this year, when I bought a 100-year-old house. It's got hardwood floorboards that are 6" wide and 10-foot-high ceilings. More maintenance than a new house but I know that it will still be standing and still look great in another thirty, forty, fifty years whereas a lot of modern houses will be ready to be knocked down by that time.  Interestingly, a few decades ago, hardly anyone wanted these older houses (a style...
  I've got to agree with apropos.  I do think that if you're older, if you've got experience, if you've been around for a while, then you can quite possibly wear linen and get away with it. I do (albeit not as a suit, but as odd jackets), but then I'm middle aged and also wear brightly coloured cotton trousers with loafers in summer, so I'm regarded as a bit eccentric.  However, if you're starting out, then I think that it's best to make a reputation for yourself due to...
 Thanks for that link - there are some truly beautiful houses there.  Some of them are a bit overdone, but it's great to see that it's still possible to - albeit for a very large sum of money - have lovely stone, timber or brick houses built as they were built a hundred years ago or more, with wide, heavy wooden floorboards, great finishing and great attention to detail. 
 Ah, the good old days when Fletcher Jones:a) Still existed;b) Still made stuff in Australia (in Warrnambool, to be precise); andc) Still made decent quality clothing. My dad used to buy all of his trousers from FJs and they had some great stuff - as well as the standard charcoal and mid-gray woollen trousers, they also had some great, small-scale houndstooth and overcheck patterns. They were great, and I wish that you could still walk into your local menswear store and...
 Considering that Clinton gathered more popular votes than Trump, I'd hardly say that the left has been utterly rejected.  I may be wrong, but I suspect that if the Democrat candidate had been someone other than Clinton - someone regarded as less of a creature of the establishment - then they would have been more likely to not only win the popular vote, but also to have won sufficient areas to have also garnered more than 50% of Electoral College votes. 
 As LM mentioned, if you import an item over $1000 in value, particularly if it comes to Australia via a courier rather than by a national postal organisation such as Royal Mail or the US Postal Service, then you'll most likely be hit with GST and duties of 15% (10% GST and 5% duties), based on the combined value of the item and the shipping cost.  The processing can vary - some of the fees charged by courier companies can be pretty steep.  As an aside, the 5% duty amount...