or Connect

Posts by Journeyman

Interestingly, even though I first read Slaughterhouse-5 at high school and have read all of Vonnegut's other books over the years, I somehow never knew that there was a film version of the book (although I did know that a film version of "Mother Night" was made some years back, starring Nick Nolte).  Coincidentally, having discovered only yesterday through reading this thread that there was a film of Slaughterhouse-5, I overheard a lady at work today inveighing against...
  This is an absolutely gorgeous version of the Reverso, one of most attractive that I've seen. 
  He writes about ancient warfare and modern international relations and conflict.  Back in the 1970s or 1980s, Luttwak wrote a book about Roman military organisation and fortification that was a bit controversial and which attracted quite a bit of discussion. He's also written quite a lot about the situation in the Middle East and South Asia over the past few decades, but he's not really taken that seriously as an international relations scholar. 
 It's more the weave of the cloth that's important in hot weather, rather than the "S" (or Super) number. I've had suits made in Super 180s cloth that was definitely winter-weight, and I've also had suits in S170s or S180s cloth that was tissue-like and felt as though the fabric was going to tear as I wore it! It also wrinkled like a bastard and the wrinkles didn't come out with hanging.  In summer, I now tend to wear suits with a more open weave in a "fresco"-like cloth,...
 The only off-the-rack stuff they do are rollable hats and knit ties, I think.  Everything else (trousers and jackets) is made-to-order and, as Foxie says, is limited to trunk shows in Europe and the US.  I think that I read that he charges about US$300 for a pair of trousers and they're only made of cotton or linen. 
@apropos - If you are after a slim briefcase, you could have a look at Hunt Leather, as they've got a couple of styles that might suit:   http://www.huntleather.com.au/men/briefcases.html   http://www.huntleather.com.au/hunt-flap-slim-brief.html       http://www.huntleather.com.au/hunt-three-compartment-zip-top-briefcase.html  
I watched this with my kids for the first time last night:       It was tremendously enjoyable. I thought that it was a great movie and my 8 and 11-year-old children really liked it, too.    A real homage to early movies and, I think, a real labour of love for Scorcese. 
  I think that you might be right - I'm pretty sure that O'Shea spent some of his childhood in Toowoomba, then moved up to near the Gulf of Carpentaria in his teens, before heading for the UK and then mainland Europe.  I don't know anything about The Afternoon Tailors but, having had a quick squizz at their Instagram, it doesn't look that great. They look like they're trying to pull a P.Johnson vibe, with the short trousers with very, very narrow leg openings, worn with...
 Well, fit is king.  However, as with pretty much everything, it's a matter of striking a balance.If you can get a well-made shirt that meets all of your other criteria but is a bit wide in the shoulders or a bit long in the sleeves, but costs $90, then you're probably better off getting four of those than paying $400 for a shirt that fits absolutely all of your criteria (unless, of course, you're fabulously wealthy). Japan certainly does have a lot of great clothing...
 Unfortunately, I think that in Obama's case, it was "damned if you do and damned if you don't".  Put more troops into Iraq, you get accused of betraying your principles and of being a warmonger. Pull troops out, you get accused of being weak, of betraying US allies and interests, of abandoning Iraq, of allowing terrorism to flourish etc.